Organization Name: Endeavor Information Systems
Date: Updated : 01/15/2002
Product Name & version: Voyager 2000
Respondent Name: Reeta Sinha, Voyager Product Manager
MARC Holdings Format Survey for CONSER Task Force on Publication Patterns & Holdings,Task 3
1. Does your serial check-in software support the USMARC Holdings Format?
2. Does your serials check-in software support automatic issue prediction for receipt purposes?
2.A If so, are data elements used to provide prediction based on or similar to those provided in the USMARC Holdings Format?
YES. OUR PREDICTION PATTERNS USE THE DATA ELEMENTS SPECIFIED BY THE MARC HOLDINGS FORMAT STANDARD.
3. Does your system store data elements at the level of detail anticipated by the USMARC Holdings Format, especially the full range of subfield content conveyed in the 85/x fields?
4. Is your system able to make use of the 85X $y (Regularity pattern) to anticipate normalized irregulars (or regular receipt exceptions) in making automatic issue prediction for serials receiving?
4.A Is this support provided for a full range of the frequencies?
5. Does your system contain the capability to import MARC tagged holdings records?
5.A Please briefly describe how imported MARC-based holdings records with publication patterns are matched to specific serials control records in your system?
ENDEAVOR HAS DEVELOPED SOFTWARE THAT MAKES IT POSSIBLE TO LINK PUBLICATION PATTERN DATA IN MARC-BASED HOLDINGS RECORDS TO VOYAGER SERIALS COMPONENTS (CONTROL RECORDS).
6. Does your system have the capability to export MARC tagged holdings records?
7. Have users of your system successfully shared exported publication patterns with users of other serials systems in any of the following ways. Please specify all of the activities (a through d that your system has been able to support.
a. Exchanged generic patterns for given serial frequencies with other users of your ILS software.
b. Exchanged generic patterns for given serial frequencies with users of other ILS systems.
c. Exchanged title-specific patterns with other users of your ILS system.
VOYAGER PUBLICATION PATTERNS ARE INTENDED TO BE GENERIC AND ARE SHARED AMONG USERS. THE SUBSCRIPTION PATTERN IS INTENDED TO BE TITLE-SPECIFIC AND GENERALLY NOT SHARED BY OUR USERS.
d. Exchanged title-specific patterns with users of other ILS systems.
8. Is it possible for an operator to view 85X/86X fields related to prediction in the Check-in system? In the holdings record? In the holdings record?
YES. THESE FIELDS MAY BE VIEWED THE HOLDINGS RECORD, WHICH IS EASILY ACCESSIBLE FROM THE SERIALS CHECK-IN WORKSPACE.
8.A Can the operator view check-in and holdings information in both MARC-coded format and your system's proprietary format (if any) from all technical service screens?
ACCESS TO THE CHECK-IN AND HOLDINGS RECORD IS AVAILABLE FROM ALL RELEVANT TECHNICAL SERVICES SCREENS. VOYAGER ALLOWS OPERATORS TO EASILY NAVIGATE BETWEEN CATALOGING, ACQUISITIONS, AND SERIALS FUNCTIONS, PRESENTING THE APPROPRIATE DATA IN EACH WINDOW.
8.B Can an operator make changes to values in the 85X/86X coded fields that impact expected issue descriptions emanating from the ILS prediction engine?
(This question examines the degree of integration between coded MARC holdings values and the operation of predictive check-in. For example, I should be able to add a subfield y (*$y om07") to the 853 field of my title to cover the omission of the month of July from prediction. In the truly integrated system envisioned in 7A, such an update to the coded 85X field would cause suppression of the month of July when predicting monthly serial receipts without having to engage in separate manipulation of the check-in software.)
9. Is the check-in system able to generate MARC holdings data automatically as a by-product of establishing automated issue prediction in support of serials check-in?
YES. VOYAGER'S "COLLAPSE ISSUES" FEATURE ENABLES A LIBRARY TO GENERATE HOLDINGS DATA (85X/86X) FOR OPERATOR-SPECIFIED ISSUES.
10. Does your system support and predict alternate chronologies such as years based on Arabic calendars?
WE SUPPORT ALTERNATE CHRONOLOGIES TO THE EXTENT THAT THE MARC HOLDINGS FORMAT ALLOWS. VOYAGER USES ONLY THE FREQUNECIES ESTABLISHED BY THE STANDARD.
11. Can you support captions that incorporate diacritics?
11.A Does your software limit the length of captions? If so, what is the limit?
YES - 255 CHARACTERS.
12. What elements have you identified as necessary for serials publication patterns that appear to be missing from the current set of fields in the MARC holdings format? Please describe in detail.
ENDEAVOR FEELS THAT SERIALS LIBRARIANS ARE BEST QUALIFIED TO IDENTIFY GAPS IN THE CURRENT MARC HOLDINGS FORMAT.