An entirely new classification proposal system was implemented beginning on Monday, November 13, 2006. All SACO contributors, who are Classification Web subscribers, were to begin using the new system on that date. For SACO proposals that were already in the pipeline, Coop keyed them using the new system before they were submitted to CPSO.
Of utmost importance, contributors using this new Classification Web proposal form MUST notify the Cooperative Cataloging Team that a proposal has been submitted. Please send this notification directly to the SACO account, and include your name, the classification number(s) proposed, and the corresponding caption.
Ten PDF files are linked to this page.
The first three are the general instructions on how to use the system.
- General instructions - Proposing a New Class Number (PDF, 16KB)
- General instructions - Proposing a Modification to an Existing Class Number (PDF, 20KB)
- General instructions - Proposing a New See Reference or Confer Note (PDF, 20KB)
The last seven are examples of common types of proposals and how to create them in the new system:
- Example #1 - Creating a New Cutter Number (PDF, 238KB)
- Example #2 - Creating a New Single Whole or Decimal Number (PDF, 254KB)
- Example #3 - Creating a New Development with Multiple Consecutive Lines (PDF, 1.31MB)
- Example #4 - Changing a Caption (PDF, 224KB)
- Example #5 - Changing the Indention of Existing Captions (PDF, 560KB)
- Example #6 - Parenthesizing a Number and Creating a See Reference (PDF, 168KB)
- Example #7 - Creating a Cf. Note (PDF, 233KB)
All of this material is available to all SACO participants.
The Class Web accounts for many institutions that have contributed classification proposals in the past have been enabled to use the new system. The instructions will provide information for logging in. Should anyone have difficulty gaining access to the new database or if any additional institutions subscribing to Class Web need to have their accounts enabled, please contact either the SACO account or Paul Frank on the Cooperative Cataloging Team.
Please note: For those institutions which do not currently subscribe to ClassWeb, please adhere to current procedures until further notification is issued.
With any further questions or if any problems should arise, your cooperative cataloging liaison should be happy to help.
We in the Cooperative Catloging Team are also interested in hearing any reactions to the system, positive or negative. Please send those comments directly to the SACO account.
Thanks and looking forward to moving into the 21st century!