- Cataloging Tools, Documentation
- Catalogs, Authority Records
- Classification and Shelflisting
- Cooperative Cataloging Programs
- General, Descriptive Cataloging
- Products for Purchase
- Professional Activities
- Publications, Reports
- Subject & Genre/Form Headings
Receive an e-mail when a new issue of the Library of Congress Cataloging Newsline is available.
The Library of Congress has available at all times, for donation to eligible organizations and institutions, surplus books which are not needed for the Library's own uses. Eligible organizations and institutions must be located in the United States and fall into one of the following categories:
- Full-time, tax-supported or nonprofit educational institution: school, school system, college, university, museum, or public library.
- Agency of local, state, or federal government.
- Nonprofit institution or organization that has tax-exempt status under the provisions of section 501 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954 (see 41 CFR 101-44.207 (a)(17)) and that operates a library and/or research center open to the public.
Books selected from the Library's Surplus Books Program may not be sold for any reason. The guiding principle behind the program is to build library collections - not to raise funds for institutions or organizations.
Participating organizations must select materials in-person at the Library of Congress in Washington, D.C. Organizations from outside the area may designate a local individual to act on its behalf. Library of Congress staff members, though, are prohibited from making selections on behalf of participating organizations.
Eligible organizations and institutions may apply to participate in the Surplus Books Program by submitting a completed and signed Application to Participate form and a brief letter on the organization’s or institution’s letterhead stationery requesting approval for participation. Here are links to:
- Guidelines and Application Instructions (PDF, 130 KB)
- Application to Participate (PDF, 119 KB)
- A sample letter (PDF, 152 KB)
The Surplus Books Program is located in room LM-B03, of the Library of Congress Madison Building, 101 Independence Ave., S.E.,Washington, D.C. Hours of operation are 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM, Monday through Friday, except Federal holidays.
For questions, including inquiries from Congressional offices, please contact:
Acquisitions Fiscal & Support Office (LS/ABA/AFS)
Library of Congress
101 Independence Avenue, S.E.
Washington, D.C. 20540-4204