The New Books Project
The New Books project is a Library of Congress Cataloging Directorate
initiative designed to provide the library community and general public access
to a rich source of information about soon-to-be-published and just-published
books. New Books will enable publishers to provide data elements which the system
will use to automatically create a New Books record. These records will be
posted on the Library of Congress homepage, immediately available for readers
to access worldwide.
New Books will also enable U.S. libraries (and potentially libraries worldwide)
to be listed in a drop-down menu that will enable readers to immediately email
their local library and request books of interest. With New Books :
- LC could provide to readers substantial information about forthcoming books
- LC could provide enhanced connectivity among libraries, publishers, authors,
and book sellers throughout the U.S. and the world.
- LC could provide records and other services directly to U.S. libraries –
even the smallest libraries without intermediaries.
- LC could provide an alert service to readers and libraries around the world.
- LC could select and determine the disposition of a work prior to the work's
Library of Congress
Library of Congress Help Desk