The mission of the Bibliographic Access Divisions is to provide effective access to information resources and leadership to the library and information service communities in a rapidly changing environment.
About the Bibliographic Access Divisions
Library of Congress Cataloging Policy and
Search the Library's Online Catalogs
- Cataloging Policy and Support
Office (CPSO) Home Page
- Available at this site: News on changes or proposed changes in cataloging
policy and practice at the Library, as well as cataloging tools and documentation,
information on name authorities, subject headings (including weekly lists of new
and changed subject headings), and the Library of Congress Classification.
- Library of Congress Online Catalog
- Search catalog records representing the vast collection of materials held by the
Library including books, microforms, serials, cartographic items, music, visual materials (films, filmstrips, posters, prints, photographs), computer files, and manuscripts.
In addition to these records, the LC Online Catalog provides cross references, notes, and circulation status, as well as information about materials still in the acquisitions stage.
- Forms-based Search of the Library of Congress Files
- Search the LC database or other library catalogs by using a WWW search form and Z39.50
- LC Authorities searching on the Web
- Search all Library of Congress authority records for names, titles, series, and subject terms used in cataloging records.
Cataloging Programs and Services
- Program for Cooperative
- PCC is an international cooperative effort aimed at expanding access to
library collections by providing useful, timely, and cost-effective cataloging that
meets mutually-accepted standards of libraries around the world.
- National Union Catalog of
Manuscript Collections (NUCMC)
- NUCMC is a free-of-charge cooperative cataloging program operated by the
Library of Congress. NUCMC catalogers create MARC bibliographic records to
describe collections held by participants, and establish pertinent name and subject
- Cooperative Program for Serials
- CONSER is a cooperative online serials cataloging program, a source of high
quality bibliographic records and documentation for the cataloging of serials.
- Serial Record Division
- The Serial Record Division has broad responsibility for the processing and
bibliographic control of the Library's serials. The Serial Record is the nation's
largest serials file, including approximately 900,000 serial entries. Of these,
150,000 titles are estimated to be current receipts. Over 20,000 new entries are
added to the file each year.
- Information for Publishers
- Contact information for obtaining an International Standard Book Number
(ISBN), the U.S International Standard Serials Number (ISSN) Center Home
Page, and descriptions of the Preassigned Card Number and Cataloging in
- The Bibliographic Enrichment Advisory Team (BEAT)
- BEAT is charged with the development and implementation of initiatives to develop tools
to aid catalogers, reference specialists, and searchers in creating and locating information,
seeks to enrich the content of Library of Congress bibliographic records as well as improve
access to the data the records contain, and conducts research and development in areas that
can contribute to furthering these efforts.
Publications and Newsletters
- LC Cataloging Newsline (LCCN)
- LC Cataloging Newsline is the electronic journal of the Bibliographic Access Divisions. Articles are selected on the basis of interest to the broader cataloging
LCCN back issues
- CONSERline is the electronic journal of the CONSER program, the
Cooperative Online Serials program administered at the Library of Congress.
Reports and Conference Proceedings
Access Level Record Test
Cataloging Directorate Strategic Plan FY03-04
Fiscal Year 2005 Annual Report for the Acquisitions and Bibliographic Access Directorate
Fiscal Year 2004 Annual Report for the Bibliographic Access Divisions
Fiscal Year 2003 Annual Report for the Cataloging Directorate
Fiscal Year 2001 Annual Report for the Cataloging Directorate
Fiscal Year 2002 Annual Report for the Cataloging Directorate
LC Report from the 2006 MLA/MOUG meeting in PDF format or Word format
Other Reports and Papers
Related Products and Services Outside the Cataloging
Test link for indexing table of contents data.
- Cataloging Distribution
- CDS develops and markets products and services which provide access to
of Congress resources. You can order CDS products from the Complete Catalog
of Bibliographic Products and Services which is searchable by title or subject.
- MARC Home Page
- The MARC formats are standards for the representation and communication
of bibliographic and related information in
Test link for indexing publisher description data.
Library of Congress
Library of Congress Help Desk