Sponsors: Use these resources to plan your workshop.
Prospective attendees: Check the schedules of training providers in your region.
Important Notice: CLW policy requires sponsors to communicate the relationship between CLW/CCT workshops and PCC NACO training when promoting events.
Relationship between CLW/CCT courses and PCC NACO [PDF: 31 KB / 1 p.]
Three to six months before the workshop
- Decide the dates and location of the workshop.
- Allow the maximum recommended time for each workshop.
- Set a budget and workshop fees, with affordability as a goal.
- Send an email notification to email@example.com providing the following information:
Workshop title | Date | Location | Trainer(s) | Max no. of participants |
Contact/Registration information: Name, Email, Telephone number
- Advertise the workshop.
Talk with Instructors
- Contact instructors on course page to discuss availability.
- Select two or more instructors for workshops longer than one day.
- Discuss any special focus or customization of the sessions.
- Set parameters for class size with instructors.
- Invite instructor(s) to test equipment and practice on site1-3 days in advance, if possible
- Arrange instructors' travel and lodging, if appropriate.
- Offer honoraria to instructors (as recommended by CLW, with amount determined by sponsor).
Assign responsibilities in the hosting institution
- Promoting the workshop
- Receiving registrations and payments
- Answering questions (logistical and content)
- Maintaining registrants list
- Arranging trainee site access, entrance, and sign-in
Six weeks before the workshop
Prepare course materials
- Download the current version of PDF trainee course files
- Confirm matching versions of Instructor’s manual PDF and PPT slides
- Send order to copy services with details about numbers, binders, section dividers, paper type, etc.
Plan for equipment and services
- Computer with appropriate Windows, PowerPoint versions
- Internet access
- Projector (Infocus LitePro 580 with extra bulb)
- Backup projector or overhead transparency projector; extra bulb
- Projection cart or table; extension cord
- Laser or other type of pointer
- Flip chart and markers
- Microphone and speaker system, as needed
- Online or print documentation such as AACR2, etc
- Local automation support during session
Anticipate classroom and registration needs
- Registration/sign in table and lists
- Refreshments table or area, water always available in room
- Coat rack or closet
- Instructor seating in front of room
- Tables seating 2-4 to allow collaboration on exercises (computer labs not recommended for this training event)
- Lighting control for PPT presentation and trainee note-taking
- Table for handouts, equipment, etc. as needed
- Supplies, e.g., scissors, masking tape, etc.
- Name tags, badges, or table signs, markers
Manage registration duties
- Receive and acknowledge registrations and payments/billing documents.
- Confirm registrations.
- Maintain current registration list to answer inquiries
- Send Needs Assessment form to participants 4-6 weeks in advance
- Collect responses and send to instructors 3-4 weeks in advance
One Week Before the Workshop
- Confirm all equipment and classroom arrangements
- Post directional signs in building entrance, hallways, classroom door
- Assemble trainee manuals with tab dividers and daily workshop agendas.
- Enable instructors to visit classroom and test equipment before attendees arrive
- Prepare final registrants list as a sign in sheet (one per day).
- Furnish name badges, table tents, markers for names.
During the Workshop
- Provide logistical support for the session.
- Oversee trainee sign-in, workbook and tools distribution, name badges, etc.
- Assist instructors in setting up for their presentations.
- Provide refreshments during sign-in, breaks, etc.
- Handle special requests, e.g., last minute photocopying.
- Other support as needed.
- Have trainees complete the evaluation form.
- Provide trainees a certificate of completion.
After the Workshop
- Summarize the evaluations
- Send copies to each instructor
- Send copies to Carolyn Sturtevant:
Cooperative and Instructional Programs Division
Library of Congress
101 Independence Ave., SE
Washington, DC 20540 USA
- Send honoraria for instructors, as determined in advance