RDA in NACO Series Training
The contents of this page represent the initial RDA NACO Series Bridge training materials created by the PCC Standing Committee on Training (SCT) RDA Series Training Task Group. The task group was charged in July 2012 to develop:
- Bridge training for AACR2 series authorities catalogers making the transition to RDA
- RDA series training for new PCC members
In addition, the task group will identify areas in which PCC RDA Series policies are needed, and will work with the PCC Standing Committee on Standards to document these policy areas.
The videos, slides, scripts, and handbook may be used immediately for training purposes.
The slides may open in presentation format. If so, choose Edit from the menu bar, then choose Edit slides so the notes can be viewed.
A new email account has been set up for questions for series: email@example.com
NACO Catalogers can send general questions about series work, as well as questions about individual series.
Catalogers who are already independent in series authority work under AACR2 must take the series bridge training after they have taken the RDA in NACO Bridge Training, and may become independent for RDA by doing the following:
- If you are working with a current reviewer in the RDA in NACO Bridge Training you can use that reviewer to also review series, if that person agrees to it, once you have completed the NACO series bridge training. Please inform the review group at firstname.lastname@example.org. That reviewer will decide when you are independent and inform the PCC Secretariat.
- If you do not have a current reviewer who can review series, you may instead submit series authority records to the NACO Series review group once your institution has finished the series bridge training.
- When submitting a series authority record, as you put the record into the OCLC Online Save File, in the box “Submit for Review” put the following OCLC holding symbols: UBY, GUA, CLU, YLS, IUL. This is needed because the Review Group members share the task of examining authority records.
- The review group will inform you when you are independent. This is not intended to be an exhaustive review like the original series training. This is simply to convert you to RDA as regards series authority records. A reviewer will usually respond promptly; around the time of ALA Annual and Midwinter Conferences, however, all reviewers are likely to be away from their offices.