- MARC 21 Format for Authority Data: Including Guidelines for Content Designation
- Network Development and MARC Standards Office, Library of Congress
- Web-based subscription service
- Discontinued print publication.
Available in Cataloger's Desktop. See http://www.loc.gov/cds/desktop/
Format for records to communicate standard forms for names of persons and organizations, series titles, uniform titles, and subject terms that are used in bibliographic records. The format also includes fields for cross-references, for linking to headings in other thesauri, and for indicative treatment for series. Important for catalog consistency; essential for participants in cooperative authority file programs such as NACO.
- Included in Cataloger's Desktop
- Related links:
Introduction to MARC Documentation
Machine-Readable Cataloging (MARC) is the standard in library automation. Available in Cataloger's Desktop (http://www.loc.gov/cds/desktop).