- MARC Content Designation (training course)
- 2004 revision of 2002 edition
- Publication Date:
- Covers the basics of MARC coding with special emphasis on coding monographs. The Trainee Manual introduces MARC bibliographic tags and provides examples of tags and tables listing tags, indicators, and subfield codes. It also gives guidelines and explanations for applying particular codes and includes practice exercises at the end of each chapter. Chapters are arranged by MARC tag.
All examples are based on LC's Integrated Library System. Examples are as they would be in the MARC Format except that a space is added before and after subfield codes to ensure clarity, and indicator positions contain a blank where either the position is undefined in MARC 21 or a blank is specified.
The Instructor's Manual includes instructions for teaching the course, explanations of the various sets of examples used in the Trainee Manual, keys to the exercises following each chapter, and more comprehensive explanations covering the application of codes.
Trainee Manual--414 pages, loose-leaf with binder and tabs. Chapters are arranged by MARC tags with exercises at the end of each section. Also contains examples and guidance for applying content designators. The Trainee Manual can be used as a handy stand-alone reference after the course in completed.
Instructor's Manual--342 pages, loose-leaf with binder and tabs. Includes procedural instructions for teaching the course, detailed explanations of examples used in the Trainee Manual, keys to the exercises and fuller information to help the instructor guide the trainee in understanding the bibliographic content. The Trainee Manual contains the complete guidelines for the use of all content designators.
* This is the next step in training after Cataloging Concepts.
* Written and reviewed by Library of Congress cataloging experts.
All information is authoritative.
* Examples are generic MARC format with references to the displays found in specific computer systems such as OCLC and RLIN.
Easy to apply by staff outside the Library of Congress.
* Includes exercises at the end of each section.
Helps you refine understanding and remember concepts.
* Trainee Manual is designed to stand alone as a reference tool after completing the class.
You can continue to use the information on the job.
- Trainee Manual: 0-8444-1066-7; Instructor's manual 0-8444-1063-2
- Set of 1 Instructor's Manual and 1 Trainee Manual
$70 Contiguous U.S.
$80 Outside Contiguous U.S.
Additional copies of the Trainee Manual
$30 Contiguous U.S.
$35 Outside Contiguous U.S.
Multiple Copies Discount: Purchase 10 or more copies, have them shipped to one address, and save:
10-99 copies: discounted 10%
100-199 copies: discounted 20%
200 or more copies: discounted 25%
Introduction to Cataloging Resources, Manuals and Training Tools
These resources, guides and manuals will help expedite your cataloging and make sure it is up to date, consistent, and accurate. Cataloger's Desktop includes all of the Library of Congress's cataloging manuals, standards and resources, as well as cooperative cataloging and international cataloging resources.