- Music (database)
- Computer file
- A subset of MDS--Complete and also available separately.
MARC records created or edited by LC for printed and manuscript music and for music and non-music sound recordings. Some are minimal level cataloging records. Records include all languages. Languages written in non-roman script appear in romanized form. Note: Records for books about music and sound recordings are part of MDS--Books All, Books U.S.,and Books English. Records for serials of and about music and sound recordings are part of MDS--Serials. Available in MARC 21 and MARCXML formats.
Documentation Provided with This MDS Service:
* MARC 21 Format for Bibliographic Data
* MARC Code List for Countries
* MARC Code List for Languages
* MARC Code List for Geographic Areas
* MARC Code List for Organizations
* MARC Code List for Relators, Sources, and Description Conventions
* MARC 21 Specifications for Record Structure, Character Sets, and Exchange Media
Check the latest Technical Notices for MDS services.
2013 Subscription: Available weekly. Approximately 46,000 records; including 17,000 new records.
2013 Price: $1,170
Retrospective: 1984-2012. 512,000 records. File size: 583 MB. Avg. record length: 1,138 bytes.
2013 Price: $1,595
Introduction to MARC Distribution Services (databases)
Library of Congress cataloging records are available via FTP (File Transfer Protocol) delivery. Records are for materials in hundreds of languages, including non-roman alphabets in original scripts. MDS provides national level cataloging for almost all English-language imprints.