- Visual Materials (database)
- Computer file
- A subset of MDS--Complete and also available separately.
MARC records for all motion pictures, video recordings, filmstrips, transparencies, slides, and non-projectable graphics cataloged by LC. Records include all languages. Current records are limited to the cataloging of motion picture/video recordings and pictorial materials retained for LC collections. Available in MARC 21 and MARCXML formats.
Documentation Provided with This MDS Service:
* MARC 21 Format for Bibliographic Data
* MARC Code List for Countries
* MARC Code List for Languages
* MARC Code List for Geographic Areas
* MARC Code List for Organizations
* MARC Code List for Relators, Sources, and Description Conventions
* MARC 21 Specifications for Record Structure, Character Sets, and Exchange Media
Check the latest Technical Notices for MDS services.
Note: Records for serials of or about visual materials are part of MDS--Serials.
2013 Subscription: Available weekly. Approximately 25,000 records; about 10,000 new records.
2013 Price: $1,170
Retrospective: 1972-2012. 220,000 records. File size: 289 MB. Avg. record length: 1,314 bytes.
2013 Price: $1,335
Introduction to MARC Distribution Services (databases)
Library of Congress cataloging records are available via FTP (File Transfer Protocol) delivery. Records are for materials in hundreds of languages, including non-roman alphabets in original scripts. MDS provides national level cataloging for almost all English-language imprints.