- Books U.S. (database)
- Computer file
- A subset of MDS--Complete and MDS--Books All and also available separately
The best source of cataloging available for books printed in the United States. Contains MARC records for monographs bearing U.S. imprints cataloged by LC. Includes all languages; the majority of records are for English-language materials. Available in MARC 21 and MARCXML formats.
Documentation Provided with This MDS Service:
* MARC 21 Format for Bibliographic Data
* MARC Code List for Countries
* MARC Code List for Languages
* MARC Code List for Geographic Areas
* MARC Code List for Organizations
* MARC Code List for Relators, Sources, and Description Conventions
* MARC 21 Specifications for Record Structure, Character Sets, and Exchange Media
Check the latest Technical Notices for MDS services.
2013 Subscription:Available weekly. Approximately 285,000 records, including 80,000 new records.
2013 price: $7,670
Retrospective: 1968-2012: 3,350,000 records. File size: 3,262 MB. Avg. record length: 974 bytes.
2013 price: $7,890
Introduction to MARC Distribution Services (databases)
Library of Congress cataloging records are available via FTP (File Transfer Protocol) delivery. Records are for materials in hundreds of languages, including non-roman alphabets in original scripts. MDS provides national level cataloging for almost all English-language imprints.