Marie Ester Brandt diary entry, Aug. 22, 1864
Marie Ester Brandt
Courtesy of the Indiana Historical Society
- Indiana Historical Society
- Marie Ester Brandt was a Quaker Sabbath schoolteacher in Hanover, Jefferson County, Ind., and daughter of a farmer and general store owner in Hanover.
- Diary entries describe daily life, social activities, and Civil War experiences in Hanover and Madison, Ind., and at Hanover College.
- "Monday, 22nd August : Drusilla was over awhile. She says the paper states that the state authorities at Indianapolis have taken possession of 21 boxes of arms sent there for the Sons of Liberty, a disloyal organization to resist the government. They are getting very outspoken in their treason."
- Note: Forms part of the Historical Society's Marie Ester Brandt diaries, 1849-1869.
(See the NUCMC catalog record) (PDF, 96 KB)