"A few battle sites are marked by crossed swords. Shows railroads, towns, county names and boundaries, and drainage" -- LC Civil War maps / Stephenson. "Entered according to Act of Congress in the year 1862 by D.A. Heald in the Clerk's Office of the District Court of the Southern District of New York." "Presented by the Home Insurance Compy. of New York." This item ...
Contributor:Heald, D. A., (Daniel Addison) - Home Insurance Company
Relief shown by hachures. Shows fortifications, towns, roads, houses, names of residents, vegetation, and drainage. Principle rivers are hand colored in blue. "Photographic reduction by L.E. Walker, Treasury Department." Description derived from published bibliography. LC Civil War maps (2nd ed.), 598 Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
"35-36." "Entered according to Act of Congress, in the year 1862 by J. Knowles Hare ..." Description derived from published bibliography. From an edition of the author's New illustrated family atlas of the world, published in 1864 or 1865. Prime meridian: Washington, D.C. Relief shown by hachures. Depths shown by soundings. This item is in the Map Collection of the Library of Virginia; please ...
Map shows the location of Union troops in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia poised to begin McClellan's Peninsular Campaign, March 1862. Among the landmarks noted are the location of McClellan's headquarters in Hampton from 23 March to 4 April 1862; the route of reconnaissance by Smith and Fitz-John Porter in the vicinity of Yorktown, Va., 27 March; and McClellan's new headquarters on the ...
"37-38." "Entered according to Act of Congress, in the year 1862 by J. Knowles Hare ..." Description derived from published bibliography. From an edition of the author's New illustrated family atlas of the world, published in 1868. Prime meridian: Washington, D.C. Relief shown by hachures. Depths shown by soundings. This item is in the Map Collection of the Library of Virginia; please contact the ...
Area map of Richmond showing locations of roads, railroads, waterways, and landforms, as well as outlying Confederate defenses. Also includes notations of Union positions on June 13th and June 20th, 1862, and of Genl. Grant's position June 1st, 1864.
Contributor:Sneden, Robert Knox - Humphreys, A. A. (Andrew Atkinson)
Shows the area around Hanover Court House, Va., sight of a skirmish between Union and Confederate forces as McClellan's advance up the Virginia Peninsula continued its slow pace. In this depiction, the Pamunkey River is located to the north, and the Richmond & Pamunkey Turnpike is also indicated.
Shows a portion of the peninsula outlined by the York River to the north and the James River to the south. Sneden marked the Union line of march, wagon trains, and Confederate works, all related to the Peninsula Campaign, March-July 1862.
Relief shown by hachures. Depths shown by soundings. "Entered according to Act of Congress, in the year 1862 by J. Knowles Hare in the clerk's office of the District Court of the United States for the Southern District of New York." From: Johnson's new illustrated family atlas of the world, 1869. Prime meridian: Washington, D.C. LC Civil War maps (2nd ed.), 602.55 In upper ...
Contributor:Johnson, A. J. (Alvin Jewett) - Johnson, A. J.
Illustrates a portion of York County, Va., showing headquarters camps of the various generals of the U.S. Army of the Potomac, including the Sawmill, headquarters of General Samuel P. Heintzelman, in the Peninsula Campaign, March-July 1862.
Shows the vicinity of Yorktown, Va., including Union batteries located along the Warwick Court House Road. Also shows the Confederate barricade made up of abatis, palisades, slashings of trees, felled trees, and dams that flooded low-lying areas. The Union army, under Gen. McClellan, prepared to lay siege to Yorktown as part of its advance up the Virginia Peninsula toward the Confederate capital of Richmond.
While dated June 26th, the Battle of Gaines' Mill was actually fought on the 27th, the third day of the Seven Days' Battles. This map shows Hanover County, Va., with the Chickahominy River to the south, the town of Cold Harbor to the north, Powhite Creek to the west, and Elder Swamp to the east.
Shows the area surrounding Confederate Fort Magruder just south of in Williamsburg, Va. Details include the network of ravines and slashed trees extending the width of the Peninsula used by the Confederate Army as part of its defenses.
Shows the area of Wormsley Creek to the north and Poquoson River to the south as McClellan's forces prepared to launch the siege of Yorktown, Va. The locations of Howard's Bridge across the Poquoson and the road from Yorktown to Hampton are also indicated.
Shows the area of Charles City County, Va., along the James River (between Kimmage's and Herring creeks) to which McClellan moved his troops at the end of the Peninsular Campaign. They remained here until August 16. Details include the use of slashed or burned trees, ditches, piles of logs, and natural landforms as defenses.
While dated June 27th, this map depicts an engagement that took place the day previously, on the second day of the Seven Days' Battles. It shows the area of Hanover County that includes Mechanicsville, with the Chickahominy River to the south of the image and Beaverdam Creek with the Union and Confederate armies located on either side.
Shows the area between the Warwick River and Yorktown to the north and Wormsley Creek to the south that was the Confederacy's first line of defense against McClellan's advance up the Virginia Peninsula. The location of the road to Warwick Court House is also indicated.
Layout of "Camp Misery," a Confederate fort on the Virginia Peninsula located in a swampy area on the Ship Point road. The camp was evacuated on April 5th, 1862, as Union forces began their siege of Yorktown.
A regional view of Yorktown, Va., and vicinity, with Yorktown and Gloucester Point on opposite sides of the York River and indicating where the Warwick River feeds into the James, and also the Poquoson River as it branches off from the York below Yorktown. The headquarters of Gen. John Sedgwick's VI Corps is shown at Warwick Court House.