First Among Many: The Bay Psalm Book and Early Moments in American Printing
Related Library of Congress Exhibitions
Read More About It
- Amory, Hugh, and David Hall, eds. The Colonial Book in the Atlantic World. Chapel Hill, NC: University of North Carolina in Association with the American Antiquarian Society, 2007.
- Blumenthal, Joseph. The Printed Book in America. Hanover, NH: Published for Dartmouth College by UP of New England, 1989.
- Cohen, Lara Langer and Jordan Alexander Stein, eds. Early African American Print Culture. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 2012.
- Hudak, Leona M. Early American Women Printers and Publishers, 1639–1820. Metuchen, NJ: Scarecrow, 1978.
- Joyce, William Leonard. Printing and Society in Early America. Worcester, MA: American Antiquarian Society, 1983.
- McMurtrie, Douglas C. A History of Printing in the United States. Vol. II.New York: Burt Franklin, 1969.
- Nichols, Charles L. Isaiah Thomas, Printer, Writer and Collector. New York: Burt Franklin, 1971.
- Oswald, John Clyde. Printing in the Americas. New York: Gregg Publishing, 1937.
- Pasley, Jeffrey L. “The Tyranny of Printers”: Newspaper Politics in the Early American Republic. Charlottesville, VA: University of Virginia Press, 2002.
- Tebbel, John William. A History of Book Publishing in the United States. Vol I. New York: R. R. Bowker, 1972.
- Thomas, Isaiah. The History of Printing in America. Barre, MA: Imprint Society, 1970. Originally published 1810.
- Winterich, John T. Early American Books & Printing. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Company, 1935.
For Young Readers
- Adler, David A. B. Franklin, Printer.New York: Holiday House, 2001.
- Fisher, Leonard Everett. The Printers. New York: Marshall Cavendish, 2000.
- Hiller, Sandra J. The Life of a Colonial Printer. New York: PowerKids Press, 2014.
- Jarrow, Gail. The Printer’s Trial: The Case of John Peter Zenger and the Fight for a Free Press. Honesdale, PA: Calkins Creek, 2006.
- Krensky, Stephen. The Printer’s Apprentice. New York: Yearling, 1996.
- Petersen, Christine. The Printer. New York: Marshall Cavendish Benchmark, 2011.