Illuminating the Word: The Saint John’s Bible at the Library of Congress (Exhibition)
A Heavenly Craft: The Woodcut in Early Printed Books (Exhibition)
World Treasures: Beginnings (Exhibition)
“Recording the Experience”
The Lessing J. Rosenwald Collection
Read More About It:
- The Lessing J. Rosenwald Collection: A Catalog of the Gifts of Lessing J. Rosenwald to the Library of Congress, 1943–1975: The Lessing J. Rosenwald Collection. Washington: Library of Congress, 1977.
- Chappell, Warren. A Short History of the Printed Word. 2nd ed., rev. and updated by Robert Bringhurst. Point Roberts, Washington: Hartley and Marks, 1999.
- Davies, Martin. The Gutenberg Bible. London: British Library, 1996.
- De Hamel, Christopher. “Dates in the Giant Bible of Mainz” in Jeffrey F. Hamberger and Anne S. Korteweg (eds.). Circumdederunt me amici multi, a Tribute to James Marrow from his Friends. Turnhout, Belgium: 2006.
- ———. The Book. A History of the Bible. London and New York: Phaidon Press, 2001.
- ———. Scribes and Illuminators. Toronto and Buffalo: University of Toronto Press, 1992.
- De Simone, Daniel, ed. A Heavenly Craft: The Woodcut in Early Printed Books. New York: George Braziller, in association with the Library of Congress, 2004.
- Febvre, Lucien and Henri-Jean Martin. The Coming of the Book: The Impact of Printing 1450–1800. Trans. David Gerard. Ed. Geoffrey Nowell-Smith and David Wootton. London: Verso Books, 1984, most recently reprinted 1997.
- Füssel, Stephan. Gutenberg and the Impact of Printing. Trans. Douglas Martin. Aldershot, England, and Burlington, Vermont: Ashgate, 2005.
- Ing, Janet. Johann Gutenberg and his Bible: A Historical Study. New York: Typophiles, 1990.
- Kraus, H. P. A Rare Book Saga: The Autobiography of H. P. Kraus. New York: Putnam, 1979.
- Lehmann-Haupt, Helmut. Gutenberg and the Master of the Playing Cards. New Haven: Yale University Press, 1966.
- Miner, Dorothy. The Giant Bible of Mainz, 500th Anniversary. . . . Philadelphia, 1952.
- Schutzner, Svato. Medieval and Renaissance Manuscript Books in the Library of Congress, A Descriptive Catalogue. Vol. I, Bibles, Liturgy, Books of Hours. Washington: Library of Congress, 1989.
- Thorpe, James E. The Gutenberg Bible: Landmark in Learning. San Marino, California: Huntington Library, 1975.
- Vision of a Collector: The Lessing J. Rosenwald Collection in the Library of Congress. Washington: Library of Congress, 1991.