Read More About It
The Center for the Book in the Library of Congress suggests the following:
- Boyd, Julian P., ed., The Declaration of Independence: The Evolution of a Text. Edited by Gerard W. Gawalt. Washington: Library of Congress, 1999.
- Ellis, Joseph. American Sphinx: The Character of Thomas Jefferson. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 1997.
- Gordon-Reed, Annette. Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemings: An American Controversy. Charlottesville: University Press of Virginia, 1997.
- Maier, Pauline. American Scripture: Making the Declaration of Independence. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 1997.
- Peterson, Merrill. The Jefferson Image in the American Mind. New York: Oxford University Press, 1960.
- Thomas Jefferson: Genius of Liberty. Introduction by Garry Wills. New York: Viking Studio in association with the Library of Congress, 2000.
- Wood, Gordon S. The Radicalism of the American Revolution. New York: Vintage Books, 1992.
Especially for younger readers:
- Blumberg, Rhoda. What's the Deal? Jefferson, Napoleon, and the Louisiana Purchase. Washington: National Geographic Society, 1998.
- Ferris, Jeri. Thomas Jefferson: Father of Liberty. Minneapolis: Carolrhoda Books, 1998.
- Gilbin, James Cross. Thomas Jefferson: A Picture Biography. Illustrated by Michael Dooling. New York: Scholastic, Inc., 1994.