The companion volume, In Lincoln’s Hand: His Original Manuscripts With Commentary by Distinguished Americans, edited by Harold Holzer and Joshua Wolf Shenk, (New York: Random House, 2009) features original essays about the most important Lincoln documents by American masters including writers John Updike, E.L. Doctorow, and Walter Mosley; presidents Jimmy Carter, George H.W. Bush, and George W. Bush; Senator Richard Durbin; Justice Sandra Day O’Connor; former Governor Mario Cuomo, scholars of Lincoln and the Civil War David Blight, Drew Gilpin Faust, Doris Kearns Goodwin, Louis Lehrman, and James McPherson; and actors Liam Neeson and Sam Waterston.
- The Gettysburg Address
- American Treasures of the Library of Congress/ Memory
- American Treasures of the Library of Congress/ Top Treasures
- Alfred Whital Stern Collection of Lincolniana
Resources for Teachers
- Community Center: Abraham Lincoln
- Primary Source Set: Abraham Lincoln
- Collection Connection: The Abraham Lincoln Papers at the Library of Congress
- Collection Connection: The Alfred Whital Stern Collection of Lincolniana
- Lesson Plan: The Mathew Brady Bunch - Civil War Newspapers
- Lesson Plan: Civil War Photographs: What Do You See?
- Teacher Institute Resources
Other Online Resources
- Abraham Lincoln: A Resource Guide
- Civil War Diary of Horatio Nelson Taft
- Mr. Lincoln’s Virtual Library
- Sheet Music about Lincoln, Emancipation and the Civil War
- The Abraham Lincoln Papers at the Library of Congress
- The Assassination of Abraham Lincoln: Selected Images from the Prints and Photographs Division
- Douglas Wilson - Lincoln's Sword: The Presidency and the Power of Words
- Manhunt: The 12-Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer
- Daniel Mark Epstein on Walt Whitman's The Death of Lincoln
- Lincoln's Other White House: the Untold Story of the Man and His Presidency
- Walt Whitman’s Elegy for Lincoln
- Lincoln and Whitman: Parallel Lives in Civil War Washington
- The American Civil War: 365 Days
- Doris Kearns Goodwin: 2006 National Book Festival
Read More About It
- Burlingame, Michael. Abraham Lincoln: A Life. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 2008. Donald, David Herbert. Lincoln. New York: Simon and Schuster, 1995.
- Fleischner, Jennifer. Mrs. Lincoln and Mrs. Keckly: The Remarkable Story of the Friendship Between a First Lady and a Former Slave. New York: Broadway Books, 2004.
- Gates, Henry Louis, Jr. and Donald Yacovone, eds. Lincoln on Race and Slavery. Princeton: Princeton University Press, 2009.
- Goodwin, Doris Kearns. Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln. New York: Simon and Schuster, 2006.
- Holzer, Harold. Lincoln President-Elect: Abraham Lincoln and the Great Secession Winter 1860–1861. New York: Simon and Schuster, 2008.
- Holzer, Harold and Joshua Wolf Shenk. In Lincoln’s Hand: His Original Manuscripts with Commentary by Distinguished Americans. New York: Bantam Dell Publishing, 2009.
- Kaplan, Fred. Lincoln: The Biography of a Writer. New York: Harper Collins, 2008.
- Leonard, Elizabeth. Lincoln’s Avengers: Justice, Revenge, and Reunion after the Civil War. New York: W.W. Norton, 2005.
- Fehrenbacher, Don E., ed.Selected Speeches and Writings: Abraham Lincoln. 2 vols. Literary Classics of the United States (New York: Viking, 1989).
- McPherson, James. Tried by War: Abraham Lincoln as Commander in Chief. New York: Penguin Press, 2008.
- Miller, William Lee. President Lincoln: The Duty of a Statesman. New York: Vintage Books, 2009.
- Morel, Lucas E. Lincoln’s Sacred Effort: Defining Religion’s Role in American Self-Government. Lanham, Maryland: Lexington Books, 2000.
- Peterson, Merrill D. Lincoln in American Memory. New York: Oxford University Press, 1994.
- Shenk, Joshua Wolf. Lincoln’s Melancholy: How Depression Challenged a President and Fueled His Greatness. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 2005.
- Wilson, Douglas L. Lincoln’s Sword: The Presidency and the Power of Words. New York: Vintage Books, 2007.
For Young Readers
- Brenner, Martha and Donald Cook, illus. Abe Lincoln’s Hat. New York: Random House, 1994.
- Denenberg, Barry and Christopher Bing, illus. Lincoln Shot: A President’s Life Remembered. New York: Feiwel and Friends, 2008.
- Fleming, Candace. The Lincolns: A Scrapbook Look at Abraham and Mary. New York: Schwartz and Wade, 2008.
- Freedman, Russell. Lincoln: A Photobiography. New York: Clarion Books, 1987.
- Herbert, Janis. Abraham Lincoln for Kids: His Life and Times with 21 Activities. Chicago: Chicago Review Press, 2007.
- Osborne, Linda Barrett. Traveling the Freedom Road: From Slavery & The Civil War Through Reconstruction. New York: Abrams Books for Young Readers, 2009.
- Phillips, E.B. Abraham Lincoln: From Pioneer to President. New York: Sterling Publishing Co., 2007.
- Rappaport, Doreen, Kadir Nelson and Gary Kelley, illus. Abe’s Honest Words: The Life of Abraham Lincoln. New York: Hyperion Books for Children, 2009.
- Swanson, James L. Chasing Lincoln’s Killer. New York: Scholastic Press, 2009.
- Wells, Rosemary and P. J. Lynch, illus. Lincoln and His Boys. Somerville: Candlewick Press, 2009.