THE HOSEA COMMENTARY SCROLL: TRANSLATION
Return to The Hosea Commentary
1. (10)[SHE DID NOT KNOW THAT] I MYSELF HAD GIVEN HER THE GRAIN [AND THE
2. [AND THE OIL, AND] (THAT) I HAD SUPPLIED [SILVER] AND GOLD ... (WHICH)
THEY MADE [INTO BAAL. The interpretation of it is]
3. that [they] ate [and] were satisfied, and they forgot God who [had
fed them, and all]
4. his commandments they cast behind them, which he had sent to them [by]
5. his servants the prophets. But to those who led them astray they listened,
and they honored them [ ]
6. and as if they were gods, they fear them in their blindness.
8. (11)THEREFORE, I SHALL TAKE BACK MY GRAIN AGAIN IN ITS TIME AND MY
WINE [IN ITS SEASON,]
9. AND I SHALL WITHDRAW MY WOOL AND MY FLAX FROM COVERING [HER NAKEDNESS.]
10. (12)I SHALL NOW UNCOVER HER PRIVATE PARTS IN THE SIGHT OF [HER] LO[VERS
11. NO [ONE] WILL WITHDRAW HER FROM MY HAND.
12. The interpretation of it is that he smote them with famine and with
nakedness so that they became a disgra[ce]
13. and a reproach in the sight of the nations on whom they had leaned
for support, but they
14. will not save them from their afflictions. (13)AND I SHALL PUT AN
END TO ALL HER JOY,
15. [HER] PIL[GRIMAGE,] HER [NEW] MOON, AND HER SABBATH, AND ALL HER FEASTS.
The interpretation of it is that
16. they make [the fe]asts go according to the appointed times of the
nation. And [all]
17. [joy] has been turned for them into mourning. (14)AND I SHALL MAKE
DESOLATE [HER VINE]
18. [AND HER FIG TREE,] OF WHICH SHE SAID, "THEY ARE THE HIRE [THAT MY
LOVERS HAVE GIVEN] ME."
19. AND I SHALL MAKE THEM A FOREST, AND THE W[ILD BEAST OF THE FIELD]
WILL DEVOUR THEM.
Transcription and translation by M. Horgan
Return to The Hosea Commentary Scroll