A Daguerrian Gallery
Albert Berghaus, engraver
"M. B. Brady's New Photographic Gallery,
Corner of Broadway and Tenth Street,
Frank Leslie's Illustrated Newspaper,
January 5, 1861
Prints & Photographs
Copyright deposit, 1861 (121.4)
In 1844, photographer and entrepreneur Mathew Brady opened his
first daguerreotype studio in New York City. As his career flourished,
he moved to more opulent quarters. Brady exhibited portraits of
"Illustrious Americans" on his gallery walls and encouraged the
public to admire these images much as one would view an exhibition
of paintings in an art gallery. The three large paintings in the
center of this wood engraving were based on Brady studio daguerreotypes.
They depict statesmen John C. Calhoun, Henry Clay, and Daniel Webster.