Library Technicians Working Group
Group Title and Description:
This document serves as the group charter for the FEDLINK Library Technicians Working Group. The purpose of this group is to address the issues and concerns of federal library technicians in the areas of technical and continuing education, human resources, professional development, career growth, and opportunities for gaining professional recognition in the1400 library and archives federal job series.
The working group is open to all federal information and media center library technicians and support staff, and to all others in the federal library community who have an interest in paraprofessional issues.
FEDLINK’s Library Technicians Working Group will provide a forum for of federal library technicians, paraprofessionals, and support staff to work together to improve the training, promotion, career development, and recognition of their series. It will develop and offer training events, opportunities for career enhancement, and help to establish a clearing house of skill sets for library support staff. The working group will identify core competencies for technicians and work to change the overall perception of the GS-1411 series as it relates to professional library work.
- To function as a clearinghouse for information relating to federal library technicians and paraprofessionals
- To initiate, promote and support activities leading toward the appropriate placement, employment and certification of library technicians and paraprofessionals
- To promote effective communication between and among all library staff at all levels
- To initiate, promote and support research projects and publications for the advancement of knowledge and understanding among library technicians and paraprofessionals
- To study and develop curricula for the education of federal library technicians and develop appropriate standards for that education
- To cooperate usefully with other organizations which have purposes and objectives similar to and consistent with, those of the Library Technician Working Group.
Last Updated: 10/31/2016