The Civil Rights History Project: Survey of Collections and Repositories
Carver-Price Legacy Museum
102 Carver Ln
Red House, Virginia
Repository URL: http://carver-price.com.p8.hostingprod.com/home
Repository description (CRHP): The museum documents the history of Carver-Price High School, the black high school in Appomattox County, Virginia, and African Americans in the county. It is anticipated that by December 2010 it will be expanded to be a black history achievement museum.
Repository description (extant): In 1919 Mozella Jordan Price became supervisor of African-American schools in Appomattox County. Mrs. Price worked diligently to serve the educational needs of the children in that area until her retirement in 1963. Price, the daughter of a Farmville reverend, attended Farmville public schools and pursued further education at Boydton Institute in Boydton, Virginia, Virginia State College, Hampton Institute, and the Teacher’s College of Columbia University. After establishing an elementary school in Appomattox, Mrs. Price and other county teachers started what was then called the Appomattox Training School, a high school that held classes at First Baptist Church. Increasing enrollment
soon necessitated a school building, and, along with other community members, Mrs. Price organized the fund raising process for such a facility. A small building that housed three teachers, a high school, and an elementary school was constructed on twenty-seven acres. After further enrollment and fundraising a new four room brick building was built on the site and opened in May, 1930, with Reverend Arthur Jordan
The school continued to grow and change with the additions of a library, a home economics department, and an agricultural department that replaced the old three-room elementary school. During the 1934-35 school year the county changed the school’s name to George Washington Carver
High School. In 1951, twelve new classrooms, a gymnasium, and a cafeteria were added to the high school. At the dedication exercises in 1952 the name was changed again to Carver-Price High School in honor of Mrs. Mozella Price.
Following the Brown vs. the Board of Education of Topeka decision in 1954, desegregation became a lengthy process in Virginia as the state adopted a policy of “massive resistance.” In 1959, Prince Edward County closed its entire school system rather than integrate, and the schools remained closed until 1964. During this time African-American students from Prince Edward sought education in other counties, and enrollment at Carver-Price increased to an excess of 50 students per classroom. Due to the length of Prince Edward school closings, parents began to buy or rent homes in the county in order to live with their children again. In an effort to continue educating the community’s children, Mozella Price took in students who did not have relatives in Appomattox at her home, also known as Camp Winonah.
In 1964 eleven classrooms along with an auditorium and a new library were added to Carver-Price High School. All predominantly black two-room schools in Appomattox were closed, and Carver-Price began to house grades 1-12. Following integration and reorganization of county schools,
Carver-Price became Appomattox Intermediate School for grades 5-9 in February, 1970.
The Carver-Price School’s still-standing original structures have remained mostly unused since October 2002. The Carver-Price Alumni Association hopes to establish a legacy museum within the buildings to document the school’s historic importance.
Repository Notes (CRHP): Information about the history of the school and an article about the museum are uploaded to this record.
Repository type: Museum
Carver-Price oral history project