The Civil Rights History Project: Survey of Collections and Repositories
United Church of Christ Archives
700 Prospect Ave.
Repository URL: http://www.ucc.org/about-us/archives/
Repository code: ohclucca
Repository description (CRHP): The UCC Archives holds several oral history collections that are currently being processed. These include the UCC Historical Council Oral History Project (and an interview with Rev. Dr. Joseph Evans, first black elected to serve as UCC president), and the UCC 50th Anniversary Oral History Project (which examines experiences during the formation period of the UCC, around 1948-1961).
Repository description (extant): [The UCC Archives]
- Collects, preserves, and provides access to the records of the UCC from around the time of the creating Union in 1957 onward.
- Acts as the office of records management for the national setting of the denomination.
- Provides guidance for how to manage current and historical records to all settings of the denomination.
[UCC Archives collections include] the records, photographs, resources, and objects from around the time of the creating Union in 1957 onward[, such as:]
- Records from the national offices (UCC Yearbooks, General Synod Minutes, Executive Council Minutes, resources developed by national offices, documentation about the formation of the UCC, records of projects and initiatives)
- Collections from national UCC organizations, committees, councils and groups (Council for Health and Human Services, UCC Historical Council)
- Personal papers of people involved in the work of the national setting of the denomination (Rev. Arthur Clyde's collection of hymnals, Rev. Harold Wilke's papers documenting his work in the UCC)
- Conference publications and newsletters
- Written histories of local churches, associations, conferences, and other UCC-related ministries
Repository type: Religious Organization
[Oral history interviews]