The Civil Rights History Project: Survey of Collections and Repositories
Middle Peninsula African-American Genealogical and Historical Society of Virginia
4114 Tidewater Trail
Repository URL: http://mpaagenealogicalsociety.org/index.html
Repository description (extant): The Middle Peninsula African-American Genealogical and Historical Society of Virginia (MPAAGHS) was formed in September of 2004.
The organization provides the following:
* The opportunity to interact with people who are passionate about genealogy
* Speakers on topics that are of interest to the genealogist/family historian, e.g. preservation of photographs and documents, collecting oral history, creating family quilts, genealogy software, African-American/Native American research
* The opportunity to exchange practical tips and to share successes and roadblocks in researching family ancestry
* The opportunity to meet relatives/extended family members and to exchange family history files/documents, etc.
* Field trips to sites of local and state interest
* A surnames list
Repository type: Local History Organization
Remembering together: stories of obstacles and opportunity