The Civil Rights History Project: Survey of Collections and Repositories
Forest History Society
701 William Vickers Avenue
Durham, North Carolina
Repository URL: http://www.foresthistory.org
Repository code: 1414
Repository description (extant): The Forest History Society (FHS) is a nonprofit educational institution dedicated to fostering the study of the history of human interaction with the forested environment. Through programs in archival and library collecting, publication, education, and service, FHS seeks to provide a historical context for issues relating to human use of natural resources.
Originally founded in 1946 by a small group of forest industry executives and historians as the "Forest Products History Foundation," the Society served as a program of the Minnesota Historical Society and placed its highest priority on preserving the documentary forest heritage of North America. Identifying and collecting archival source materials, assembling a comprehensive bibliography, and publishing books in the field of forest history quickly became the Society's core programs beginning in the late 1940s. Rodney Clement Loehr (1907-2005) was the Society's first executive director. During his tenure from 1946 to 1950, FHS developed strong programs in archival collecting and publication, thus establishing a solid foundation upon which future programs could grow. Loehr resigned as director of the Society in 1950 to return to teaching full-time at the University of Minnesota.
Repository type: Non-Profit Organization
FHS oral history interview collection