Maps Plan of the harbor of Norfolk and Portsmouth, March 1st, 1861
Cassell, Charles E.
Hampton Roads Region
Hampton Roads Region
Hampton Roads Region (Va.)
Norfolk Region (Va.)
Portsmouth Region (Va.)
- Plan of the harbor of Norfolk and Portsmouth, March 1st, 1861
- Contributor Names
- Cassell, Charles E.
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Landowners--Virginia--Norfolk Region--Maps
- - Landowners--Virginia--Portsmouth Region--Maps
- - Hampton Roads Region (Va.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps, Manuscript
- - Norfolk Region (Va.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps, Manuscript
- - Portsmouth Region (Va.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps, Manuscript
- - United States--Virginia--Hampton Roads Region
- - United States--Virginia--Norfolk Region
- - United States--Virginia--Portsmouth Region
- - "Forwarded to Governor Letcher With Report and Inventory of Public Property at Norfolk and Portsmouth October 19, 1861, Wm. H. Peters, Commissioner." Peters' report is Document 40 in: Journals and papers of the Virginia State Convention of 1861, v. 3, Documents (JK3925 1861 .A25 1966). Also mentioned: Plan of grounds at Fort Norfolk showing location of magazine, pier, &c., June 30th, 1860, by Cassell (G3884 .N6:2F6S5 1860 .C3).
- - Oriented with north toward the upper right.
- - Pen and ink and watercolor.
- - Shows public property, landowners, vegetation, streets, railroads, and includes Fort Norfolk.
- - This item is in the Map Collection of the Library of Virginia; please contact the Library's Archives Research Services department for more information.
- - Swem, C.E. Maps relating to Virginia, 924
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - C.1, Sept. 2001, transferred, gift, ALE; c.2, photocopy, LVA, ALE.
- 1 map : ms., col. ; 50 x 64 cm.
- Library of Virginia Richmond, VA 23219-8000 USA vau For copies contact: Archives Research Services.
- Digital Id
- glva01 lva00014 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.ndlpcoop/glva01.lva00014
Rights & Access
The maps in the Civil War Maps materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Lines: use the following as appropriate
Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division
Library of Virginia, Map Collection
The Virginia Historical Society
Citing Primary Sources on the Teachers Page.
How to Order Reproductions
Geography and Map Division
Photographic copies of maps from the Geography and Map Division are available through the Library of Congress Photoduplication Service. These reproductions are made from digital images. (Digital reproductions in TIFF format are also available.)
The Photoduplication Service estimates that it takes 3-6 weeks to complete an order. To request a reproduction:
Take down the DIGITAL ID number and the TITLE from the bibliographic description.
Consult the Photoduplication Service for pricing details and order forms: www.loc.gov/preserv/pds/
Contact the Photoduplication Service to place an order:
Library of Virginia
The Library of Virginia's Photographic and Digital Imaging Services department offers a variety of choices for reproductions:
- Digital images transferred to CD-ROM (PC or MAC compatible)
- Full size inkjet prints
- 8 x 10 dye sublimation prints (suitable for publication)
Please direct all inquiries regarding the duplication of the Library of Virginia's Civil War map collection to any of the following:
- Regular mail
The Library of Virginia
Archives Research Services
800 East Broad Street
Richmond, VA 23219
Tuesday through Saturday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. EDT
Please include your name, address, daytime phone number, the name of the map and the LVA item number (ex.: LVA000125) in all correspondence.
Costs for duplication vary. Service and use fees may apply. Permission to reproduce, publish, or exhibit materials from the Library of Virginiaâ€™s collections must be obtained from Archives Research Services.
Acquiring copies of materials in any format from the Archives does not confer the right to recopy, reproduce, publish, or exhibit them without the express written consent of the Library, or the holder of copyright to those materials.
Virginia Historical Society
To request copies of these maps, please contact Stephanie Jacobe (email@example.com) or visit the VHS website (www.vahistorical.org External) for more information. Images will be available as digital files or prints, and a price list is posted on the site
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.