Film, Video Burning of the Standard Oil Co's tanks, Bayonne, N.J. /
Standard Oil Company
- Burning of the Standard Oil Co's tanks, Bayonne, N.J. /
- Other Title
- Burning of the Standard Oil Company's tanks, Bayonne, New Jersey
- Destruction of Standard Oil Company's plant at Bayonne, N.J., by fire on July 5th, 1900
- burning of the standard oil company's tanks, bayonne, new jersey
- destruction of standard oil company's plant at bayonne, n.j., by fire on july 5th, 1900
- Created / Published
- United States : Edison Manufacturing Co., 1900.
- Subject Headings
- - Standard Oil Company--Fire, 1900
- - Fires--New Jersey--Bayonne
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 12July1900; D14429.
- - Duration: 1:38 at 16 fps.
- - From Edison films catalog: This picture shows a street scene at Constable Hook, Bayonne, N.J. In the background rise immense volumes of dense black smoke from the burning oil, reaching high in the heavens. Outlined against this dense oil smoke is seen some of a lighter color. This is from the fire engines and from the houses of the unfortunate residents, whom we see fleeing before the destructive march of this element of fire. Some of them are bringing out what remains of their homes, and they have pressed into service all manner of vehicles, men in some cases taking the place of horses. Some have saved so little that they can readily carry out all that remains of their goods. 150 feet. $22.50.
- - "This film was photographed from a single camera position sighting down the main street of Bayonne, New Jersey during the fire that almost completely destroyed the city. Flames and fire are shown in the background, and people escaping in wagons, etc., with their belongings can be seen"--Early motion pictures.
- - Filmed July 5, 1900, in Bayonne, New Jersey.
- - Paper print shelf number (LC 1513) was changed when the paper prints were rehoused. DLC
- - This film had been misidentified as another film with the same title, also in the Paper Print Collection. The former paper print shelf number of the other film, LC 1382, erroneously appeared on this record. DLC
- - Photographed on July 5, 1900 in Bayonne, New Jersey.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Musser, C. Edison motion pictures 1890-1900, 1997, p. 603-04; Niver, K.R. Early motion pictures, 1985; Edison films catalog, no. 105, July 1901, p. 53 [MI].
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 2 min., ca. 50 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm. viewing print.
- 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 2 min., ca. 100 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. viewng print.
- 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 2 min., ca. 50 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm. dupe neg pic.
- 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 2 min., ca. 100 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. dupe neg pic.
- 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 2 min., ca. 100 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. master pos pic.
- 1 roll of 1 (ca. 100 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. paper pos.
- 1 roll of 1 (ca. 100 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. paper pos (copy 2)
- Call Number
- FLA 4396 (viewing print)
- FEB 9399 (viewing print)
- FRA 1567 (dupe neg pic)
- FPF 8051 (dupe neg pic
- FPE 5437 (master pos pic)
- Box 0865D (paper pos)
- Box 5079D (paper pos, copy 2)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D. C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- edmp 1382 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mbrsmi/edmp.1382
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in the Inventing Entertainment: The Motion Pictures and Sound Recordings of the Edison Companies, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is anxious to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
The following films are reproduced courtesy of the Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 720, Oyster Bay, NY 11771: U.S. Troops Landing at Daiquirí, Cuba; Troops Making Military Road in Front of Santiago; Pack Mules with Ammunition on the Santiago Trail, Cuba.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.