Film, Video Congress of nations /
Articles and Essays with this item:
- Congress of nations /
- From Edison films catalog: A new and sensational film, which deals in a highly up-to-date manner with the international situation. A magician steps upon the stage carrying a hoop covered with white paper. Then in quick succession the flags of Germany, Russia, Ireland, England and China are brought forth and from each a soldier is produced corresponding with the flag of each nation. The magician adds a bit of comedy to the scene by producing a decidedly Hibernian policeman from the flag of Erin's Isle. The magician then slowly waves his arms in front of the American flag, and as he dissolves into thin air a striking and patriotic tableau appears. The dissolving effect from the magician to the tableau is a new and unique effect never hitherto achieved in motion photography. 115 feet. $17.25.
- Created / Published
- United States : Edison Manufacturing Co., 1900.
- Subject Headings
- - Magic tricks--United States--Drama
- - Magicians--United States--Drama
- - International relations--Drama
- - United States--Foreign relations--1897-1901
- - Flags--United States
- - Patriotism--United States--Drama
- - Flags--Germany
- - Flags--Russia
- - Flags--Ireland
- - Flags--Great Britain
- - Flags--China
- - Soldiers--Germany--Drama
- - Soldiers--Russia--Drama
- - Police--Ireland--Drama
- - Soldiers--Great Britain--Drama
- - Soldiers--China--Drama
- - D21659 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 16Nov1900; D21659.
- - Albert E. Smith.
- - Camera, J. Stuart Blackton.
- - Duration: 1:59 at 16 fps.
- - Filmed ca. September to early November 1900, on Vitagraph's roof-top studio in New York, New York.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Musser, C. Edison motion pictures 1890-1900, 1997, p. 640; Niver, K.R. Early motion pictures, 1985; Edison films catalog, no. 105, July 1901, p. 81 [MI]; Edison films catalog, no. 135, Sept. 1902, p. 95 [MI].
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- ref print. 1 reel of 1 (ca. 115 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos. 1 roll of 1 (ca. 115 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- Call Number
- FEC 2816 (ref print)
- LC 1546 (paper pos)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D. C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- edmp 1546 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mbrsmi/edmp.1546
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in the Inventing Entertainment: The Motion Pictures and Sound Recordings of the Edison Companies, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is anxious to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
The following films are reproduced courtesy of the Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 720, Oyster Bay, NY 11771: U.S. Troops Landing at Daiquirí, Cuba; Troops Making Military Road in Front of Santiago; Pack Mules with Ammunition on the Santiago Trail, Cuba.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.