Film, Video Discharging a Whitehead torpedo /
Morris (Torpedo Boat)
- Discharging a Whitehead torpedo /
- Other Title
- Discharging a torpedo
- Discharging Whitehead torpedo
- discharging a torpedo
- discharging whitehead torpedo
- "Taken on board the U.S. torpedo boat "Morris." It shows the crew loading a Whitehead torpedo into the tube and then discharging it. The torpedo can be seen running along the surface of the water for a distance of over half a mile. 75 feet"--Edison films catalog.
- Created / Published
- United States : Edison Manufacturing Co., 1900.
- Subject Headings
- - Whitehead torpedoes
- - Morris (Torpedo boat)
- - Torpedo-boats--Rhode Island--Newport
- - United States.--Navy
- - D10160 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 12May1900; D10160.
- - Duration: 1:15 at 16 fps.
- - Paper print shelf number (LC 1565) was changed when the paper prints were re-housed.
- - Filmed ca. late April to early May 1900, at Newport, Rhode Island.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Musser, C. Edison motion pictures 1890-1900, p. 591-92; Niver, K. Early motion pictures, p. 78; Edison films catalog, no. 105, July 1901, p. 27 [MI].
- - Early motion pictures : the Paper Print Collection in the Library of Congress / by Kemp R. Niver. Library of Congress. 1985.
- - 35mm DNEG cy 2 Received: ca. 1989??? from UCLA Film & Television Archive; preservation; Paper Print Collection.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (33 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 75 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (33 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 75 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- master pos pic 1 film reel of 1 (30 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- paper pos 1 roll of 1 (ca. 75 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos (copy 2) 1 roll of 1 (ca. 75 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
- Call Number
- FLA 4579 (viewing print)
- FEB 9742 (viewing print)
- FRA 1613 (dupe neg pic)
- FPE 5425 (dupe neg pic)
- FPF 8055 (dupe neg pic, copy 2)
- FRB 0500 (master pos pic)
- Box 0675B (paper pos)
- Box 5576C (paper pos, copy 2)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D. C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- edmp 1565 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mbrsmi/edmp.1565
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in the Inventing Entertainment: The Motion Pictures and Sound Recordings of the Edison Companies, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is anxious to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
The following films are reproduced courtesy of the Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 720, Oyster Bay, NY 11771: U.S. Troops Landing at Daiquirí, Cuba; Troops Making Military Road in Front of Santiago; Pack Mules with Ammunition on the Santiago Trail, Cuba.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.