Film, Video Exploding a Whitehead torpedo /
- Exploding a Whitehead torpedo /
- Created / Published
- United States : Edison Manufacturing Co., 1900.
- Subject Headings
- - Whitehead torpedoes
- - Torpedoes
- - Torpedo-boats--United States
- - United States.--Navy--Weapons systems
- - United States.--Navy--Boats
- - Harbors--Rhode Island--Newport
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 12May1900; D10161.
- - Duration: 0:27 at 16 fps.
- - From Edison films catalog: The torpedo was exploded in fifteen fathoms of water. The picture shows the water, mud and rocks being thrown high up in the air, and will give an idea of the destructiveness of one of these missiles. 25 feet. $3.75.
- - Filmed ca. late April to early May 1900, at Newport, Rhode Island.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Musser, C. Edison motion pictures 1890-1900, 1997, p. 592; Niver, K.R. Early motion pictures, 1985; Edison films catalog, no. 105, July 1901, p. 27 [MI].
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- 1 reel of 1 (ca. 25 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. ref print.
- 1 roll of 1 (ca. 25 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. paper pos.
- Call Number
- FEB 9405 (ref print)
- LC 914 (paper pos)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D. C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- edmp 0914 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mbrsmi/edmp.0914
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in the Inventing Entertainment: The Motion Pictures and Sound Recordings of the Edison Companies, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is anxious to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
The following films are reproduced courtesy of the Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 720, Oyster Bay, NY 11771: U.S. Troops Landing at Daiquirí, Cuba; Troops Making Military Road in Front of Santiago; Pack Mules with Ammunition on the Santiago Trail, Cuba.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.