Film, Video Launch of life boat /
- Launch of life boat /
- Other Title
- Launch of lifeboat
- Launch of a life boat, Fort Point Sta., Cal.
- launch of lifeboat
- launch of a life boat
- "Pacific Coast Life Saving Service series: These subjects are illustrative of the work performed by the Life Saving Corps of the United States Government, and show the methods in vogue at one of the most important stations on either side of our Continent. The exact routine pursued in actual practice is clearly illustrated. We are particularly indebted to Major T.J. Blakeney, Superintendent of the U.S. Life Saving Service, 12th District, San Francisco, Cal., and Captain W.C. Coulson, of the U.S. Revenue Cutter, San Francisco, Cal., for their kind co-operation. We are thus enabled to bring before the public generally absolutely true and accurate pictures of one of our most worthy as well as interesting institutions, the crews of which are constantly risking their own lives for the preservation of others"--Edison films catalog, p. 20.
- Created / Published
- United States : Edison Manufacturing Co., 1897.
- Subject Headings
- - Lifeboats--California--San Francisco
- - Lifesaving--California--San Francisco
- - Lifeboat service--California--San Francisco
- - 60570 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 25Oct1897; 60570.
- - Camera, Frederick Blechynden.
- - Duration: 0:24 at 30 fps.
- - Filmed September 1897, at the Presidio in San Francisco, California.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Musser, C. Edison motion pictures 1890-1900, p. 343; Niver, K. Early motion pictures, p. 180; F.Z.Maguire & Co. Catalogue, March 1898, p. 35; Edison films catalog, no. 94, March 1900, p. 20 [MI].
- - Early motion pictures : the Paper Print Collection in the Library of Congress / by Kemp R. Niver. Library of Congress. 1985.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (24 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 60 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (24 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- paper pos 1 roll of 1 (ca. 60 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos (copy 2) 1 roll of 1 (ca. 60 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
- "Taken at the Pacific Coast Life Saving Service, Fort Point Station, Presidio, San Francisco, Cal., commanded by Capt. Joseph Hodgson, and shows the crew in the act of starting for a wreck. The scene opens with the opening of the boat-house door, followed by the boat speeding down a runway into the water. The sailors, with oars pointing upward, and the splashing waters, are clearly reproduced, making an interesting scene"--F.Z. Maguire catalogue.
- Call Number
- FLA 3069 (viewing print)
- FEC 4684 (viewing print)
- FRA 0401 (dupe neg pic)
- Box 0746D (paper pos)
- Box 5535E (paper pos, copy 2)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D. C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- edmp 0055 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mbrsmi/edmp.0055
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in the Inventing Entertainment: The Motion Pictures and Sound Recordings of the Edison Companies, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is anxious to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
The following films are reproduced courtesy of the Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 720, Oyster Bay, NY 11771: U.S. Troops Landing at Daiquirí, Cuba; Troops Making Military Road in Front of Santiago; Pack Mules with Ammunition on the Santiago Trail, Cuba.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.