Film, Video Loading baggage for Klondike, no. 6 /
- Loading baggage for Klondike, no. 6 /
- Created / Published
- United States : Edison Manufacturing Co., 1897.
- Subject Headings
- - Steamboats--Washington (State)--Seattle
- - Gold mines and mining--Transportation
- - Gold miners--Transportation
- - Klondike River Valley (Yukon)--Gold discoveries
- - Loading and unloading--Washington (State)--Seattle
- - Docks--Washington (State)--Seattle
- - Harbors--Washington (State)--Seattle
- - Ships--Washington (State)--Seattle
- - Seattle (Wash.)
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 25Oct1897; 60553.
- - Duration: 0:26 at 30 fps.
- - From Edison films catalog: This was the first ship sailing for the Klondike from Seattle during the gold rush of 1897. The picture shows the excitement and enthusiasm that attended the great Klondike exodus. Crowds of anxious gold seekers watch the loading of their outfits, clothing, kits and provisions into the hole of the "Williamette." 50 feet. $7.50.
- - Advertised as part of the "Northern Pacific Railway Series" (Edison films catalog): The following pictures were taken by our artists at various points on the Northern Pacific Railway. We are greatly indebted to their officials who afforded us every opportunity in their power to obtain these splendid views. Many of the scenes are incident to the excitement prevailing at the time of the Klondike gold rush. They show the resources of this company for handling large numbers of people, baggage, freight and excursion parties, and give to prospective tourists and merchants an idea of the facilities with which this road handles traffic of all kinds (p. 9).
- - According to Edison film historian C. Musser, this film shows the S.S. "Queen" loading, rather than the S.S. "Williamette" referred to in the Edison films catalog summary,
- - Filmed August 6, 1897, in Seattle, Washington.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Musser, C. Edison motion pictures 1890-1900, 1997, p. 321-23; Niver, K.R. Early motion pictures, 1985; Edison films catalog, no. 105, July 1901, p. 10 [MI].
- 1 reel of 1 (ca. 50 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. ref print.
- 1 roll of 1 (ca. 50 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. paper pos.
- Call Number
- Box 7076
- LC 17 (paper pos)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D. C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- edmp 0017 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mbrsmi/edmp.0017
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in the Inventing Entertainment: The Motion Pictures and Sound Recordings of the Edison Companies, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is anxious to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
The following films are reproduced courtesy of the Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 720, Oyster Bay, NY 11771: U.S. Troops Landing at Daiquirí, Cuba; Troops Making Military Road in Front of Santiago; Pack Mules with Ammunition on the Santiago Trail, Cuba.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.