Film, Video Morro Castle, Havana Harbor /
Articles and Essays with this item:
Castillo Del Morro (Havana, Cuba)
Spanish American War
- Morro Castle, Havana Harbor /
- Other Title
- Panoramic view, showing entrance to Havana Harbor and Morro Castle
- Created / Published
- United States : Edison Manufacturing Co., 1898.
- Subject Headings
- - Castillo del Morro (Havana, Cuba)
- - Spanish-American War, 1898
- - Fortification--Cuba--Havana
- - Castles--Cuba--Havana
- - Harbors--Cuba--Havana
- - Havana (Cuba)--History, Military
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 21Apr1898; 25324.
- - Duration: 0:49 at 16 fps.
- - From Edison films "war extra" catalog: A most excellent picture of the grim old fortress which stands at the entrance of Havana Harbor. The high ramparts and lofty battlements look very formidable. Parts of the stronghold date back to the seventeenth century. While the yacht from which the picture is taken sails around the promontory, an excellent view is afforded of the entire fortress. Waves are seen dashing up against the rocks at the foot of abutments. The lighthouse and sentry-box are so near that the guard is plainly seen pacing up and down. The photograph is excellent; and in view of a probable bombardment, when the old-fashioned masonry will melt away like butter under the fire of 13-inch guns, the view is of historic value. 50 feet.
- - Filmed ca. March 17 to April 1, 1898, in Havana Harbor, Cuba.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Musser, C. Edison motion pictures 1890-1900, 1997, p. 414; Niver, K.R. Early motion pictures, 1985; Edison films "war extra" catalog, May 10, 1898, p. 5 [MI].
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- 1 reel of 1 (ca. 50 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. ref print.
- 1 roll of 1 (ca. 50 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. paper pos.
- Call Number
- FEC 2998 (ref print)
- LC 1046 (paper pos)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D. C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- sawmp 1046 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mbrsmi/sawmp.1046
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in the Inventing Entertainment: The Motion Pictures and Sound Recordings of the Edison Companies, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is anxious to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
The following films are reproduced courtesy of the Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 720, Oyster Bay, NY 11771: U.S. Troops Landing at Daiquirí, Cuba; Troops Making Military Road in Front of Santiago; Pack Mules with Ammunition on the Santiago Trail, Cuba.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division, Library of Congress
The Library of Congress is providing access to the Spanish-American War in Motion Pictures for educational and research purposes. The Library is not aware of any copyrights or other rights associated with this Collection. However, users should note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
U.S. Troops Landing at Daiquirí, Cuba; Troops Making Military Road in Front of Santiago; Pack Mules with Ammunition on the Santiago Trail, Cuba; and 25th Infantry are reproduced here courtesy of the Theodore Roosevelt Association.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More information about American Memory and Copyright.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.