Film, Video Mount Tamalpais R.R.
- Mount Tamalpais R.R.
- Other Title
- Mount Tamalpais Railroad.
- Mt. Tamalpais Railroad.
- mount tamalpais railroad.
- mt. tamalpais railroad.
- mount tamaltais r.r.
- Created / Published
- United States : Edison Manufacturing Co., 1898.
- Subject Headings
- - Mill Valley and Mt. Tamalpais Scenic Railway
- - Narrow gauge railroads--California--Marin County
- - Tamalpais, Mount (Calif.)
- - Mountains--California--Marin County
- - Marin County (Calif.)
- - Tourism--California--Marin County
- - Southern Pacific Railroad Company
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 10Mar1898; 16438.
- - Camera, Frederick Blechynden.
- - Duration: 0:37 at 20 fps.
- - From Edison films catalog: On the front end of the flat car is a lady, whose feathers and ribbons flutter in the wind. The panoramic view of the hills and valley is very beautiful. 50 feet. $7.50.
- - Advertised as part of the "Southern Pacific Company Series" (Edison films catalog): The Southern Pacific Company ("Sunset Route") offers special inducements to winter travelers, by reason of its southern route, thereby avoiding the extreme cold of the winter months. Its course lies through a section of the country that presents a variety of beautiful and picturesque natural scenery. It is also the direct route to the popular resorts of Southern California, thereby making it a favorable route for tourists. The following subjects were taken by our artist while traveling over the very extensive lines of the Southern Pacific Railroad Co., to whom we are indebted for many courtesies, and without whose co-operation we should not have been able to bring before the public these animated photographs of interesting and novel scenes (p. 43).
- - For more information on Mount Tamalpais and the Mill Valley and Mt. Tamalpais Scenic Railway, see the catalog record for Mount Tamalpais R.R., no. 1 (lccn 00694422).
- - MAVIS 73364; Mount Tamalpais R.R., no. 2. DLC
- - Paper print shelf number (LC 1258) was changed when paper prints were rehoused. DLC
- - Filmed ca. January 1898, on Mount Tamalpais in Marin County, California.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Musser, C. Edison motion pictures 1890-1900, 1997, p. 391; Niver, K.R. Early motion pictures, 1985; Edison films catalog, no. 94, March 1900, p. 22 [MI]; Edison films catalog, no. 105, July 1901, p. 44 [MI].
- - 16 mm. viewing print, master pos pic and dupe neg pic; Received: ca. 1962; preservation; Paper Print Collection.
- - 35 mm. viewing prints, copies 1and 2, and 35 mm. dupe neg pic; Received: ca. 1990; preservation; Paper Print Collection.
- - paper pos, copies 1 and 2; Received: 3/10/1898; copyright deposit; Paper Print Collection.
- viewing print. 1 reel of 1 (ca. 1 min., ca. 73 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- viewing print. 1 reel of 1 (ca. 1 min., ca. 50 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- viewing print (copy 2) 1 reel of 1 (ca. 1 min., ca. 50 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- dupe neg pic. 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 1 min., ca. 35 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- dupe neg pic. 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 1 min., ca. 73 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- master pos pic. 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 1 min., ca. 35 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- paper pos. 1 roll of 1 (ca. 50 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos (copy 2) 1 roll of 1 (ca. 50 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- Call Number
- FLA 4272 (viewing print)
- FEB 9653 (viewing print)
- FEB 9654 (viewing print, copy 2)
- FRA 1427 (dupe neg pic)
- FPE 5018 (dupe neg pic)
- FRB 1425 (master pos pic)
- Box 0478 (paper pos)
- Box 5055 (paper pos, copy 2)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D. C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- edmp 1258 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mbrsmi/edmp.1258
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in the Inventing Entertainment: The Motion Pictures and Sound Recordings of the Edison Companies, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is anxious to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
The following films are reproduced courtesy of the Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 720, Oyster Bay, NY 11771: U.S. Troops Landing at Daiquirí, Cuba; Troops Making Military Road in Front of Santiago; Pack Mules with Ammunition on the Santiago Trail, Cuba.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.