Film, Video New Black Diamond express /
Articles and Essays with this item:
Lehigh Valley Railroad Company
- New Black Diamond express /
- Created / Published
- United States : Edison Manufacturing Co., 1900.
- Subject Headings
- - Lehigh Valley Railroad Company
- - Railroads--Pennsylvania
- - Express trains--Pennsylvania
- - Mountains--Pennsylvania
- - Susquehanna River
- - Rivers--Pennsylvania
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 26May1900; D11027.
- - Picture is dark on 35 mm. viewing print, copy 1. DLC
- - Incomplete: 35 mm. viewing print, copy 2, is missing some footage. DLC
- - Duration, 35 mm. copy 1: 0:57 at 16 fps.
- - Duration, 35 mm. copy 2: 0:27 at 24 fps.
- - From Edison films catalog: This picture was taken at one of the curves on the Lehigh Valley Railroad, along the beautiful Susquehanna River. The train is seen rapidly approaching in the distance, clearly outlined against the grey mountains. Smoke can be seen pouring in volumes from the stack of the locomotive, and as the train approaches closely, she sounds a whistle, warning some section men, who are working on the tracks in the foreground. As she rushes by the camera, the swing motion of the train gives a vivid idea of the lightning speed at which she is traveling. 60 feet. $9.00.
- - MAVIS 64200. DLC
- - Filmed May 1900, near Towanda, Pennsylvania.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Viewed for content and cataloging assistance by Amy Gallick.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Musser, C. Edison motion pictures 1890-1900, 1997, p. 594-95; Niver, K.R. Early motion pictures, 1985; Edison films catalog, no. 105, July 1901, p. 94 [MI].
- - Received: ca. 1958; 16 mm. viewing print and dupe neg pic; preservation; Paper Print Collection.
- - Received: ca. 5-2000; viewing print, copy 1; preservation; Paper Print Collection.
- - Received: ca. 1980; master pos pic; method of acquisition unknown; Paper Print Collection.
- - Received: 5-26-1900; paper pos; copyright deposit; Paper Print Collection.
- - Received: 3-3-1997; reversal pos; gift; Niver (Kemp) Collection.
- - Received: 5-13-1994; viewing print, copy 2; preservation; Hendricks (Gordon) Collection.
- 1 film reel of 1 (57 sec., ca. 25 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm. viewing print.
- 1 film reel of 1 (57 sec., 58 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. viewing print.
- 1 film reel of 1 (57 sec., ca. 25 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm. dupe neg pic.
- 1 film reel of 1 (57 sec., 58 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. master pos pic.
- 1 roll of 1 (ca. 60 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. paper pos.
- 1 film reel of 1 (57 sec., ca. 25 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm. reversal pos.
- 1 film reel of 1 (inc.) (27 sec., 43 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. viewing print (copy 2)
- Call Number
- FLA 4171 (viewing print)
- FEB 9412 (viewing print)
- FRA 1336 (dupe neg pic)
- FPE 5432 (master pos pic)
- Box 5064 (paper pos)
- FRB 7468 (reversal pos)
- FEC 8086 (viewing print, copy 2)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D. C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- edmp 1157 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mbrsmi/edmp.1157
- edmp 4050 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mbrsmi/edmp.4050
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in the Inventing Entertainment: The Motion Pictures and Sound Recordings of the Edison Companies, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is anxious to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
The following films are reproduced courtesy of the Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 720, Oyster Bay, NY 11771: U.S. Troops Landing at Daiquirí, Cuba; Troops Making Military Road in Front of Santiago; Pack Mules with Ammunition on the Santiago Trail, Cuba.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.