Film, Video A storm at sea /
Abadie, Alfred C. (Alfred Camille)
Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
Thomas A. Edison, Inc
White, James H. (James Henry)
- A storm at sea /
- From Edison films catalog: While our photographers were crossing the Atlantic Ocean a most wonderful and sensational picture was secured, showing a storm at sea. The picture was secured by lashing the camera to the after bridge of the Kaiserine Maria Theresa [sic], of the North German Lloyd Line, during one of its roughest voyages. The most wonderful storm picture ever photographed. Taken at great risk. 100 feet. 15.00.
- Contributor Names
- White, James H. (James Henry), production.
- Abadie, Alfred C. (Alfred Camille), 1878-1950, camera.
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc.
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
- Created / Published
- United States : Edison Manufacturing Co., 1900.
- Subject Headings
- - Storms--Atlantic Ocean
- - Steamboats--Atlantic Ocean
- - Ocean travel
- - Ocean waves--Atlantic Ocean
- - Atlantic Ocean
- - D16390 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 9Aug1900; D16390.
- - Camera, Alfred C. Abadie?
- - Paper print shelf number (LC 0208) was changed when paper positives (copies 1 and 2 in one box) were rehoused.
- - Duration: 1:17 at 16 fps.
- - MAVIS 47156; A storm at sea.
- - Filmed ca. June 19-27, 1900, on the Atlantic Ocean.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Musser, C. Edison motion pictures 1890-1900, 1997, p. 603; Niver, K.R. Early motion pictures, 1985, p. 313; Edison films catalog, no. 105, July 1901, p. 16 [MI].
- - viewing print; Received: 1996-12-16 from LC film lab; preservation; Paper Print Collection.
- - paper pos, copies 1 and 2; Received: 1900-08-09; copyright deposit; Paper Print Collection.
- viewing print. 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 100 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos. 1 roll of 1 (ca. 100 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- Call Number
- FEC 2805 (viewing print)
- Box 0752 (paper pos)
- Box 5504 (paper pos, copy 2)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D. C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- edmp 0208 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mbrsmi/edmp.0208
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
- Other Formats
- - MARCXML Record
- - MODS Record
- - Dublin Core Record
- Catalog Record
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in the Inventing Entertainment: The Motion Pictures and Sound Recordings of the Edison Companies, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is anxious to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
The following films are reproduced courtesy of the Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 720, Oyster Bay, NY 11771: U.S. Troops Landing at Daiquirí, Cuba; Troops Making Military Road in Front of Santiago; Pack Mules with Ammunition on the Santiago Trail, Cuba.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.