Film, Video At the foot of the Flatiron /
- At the foot of the Flatiron /
- Created / Published
- United States : American Mutoscope and Biograph Company, 1903.
- Subject Headings
- - Flatiron Building (New York, N.Y.)
- - Historic buildings--New York (State)--New York
- - Office buildings--New York (State)--New York
- - Skyscrapers--New York (State)--New York
- - Sidewalks--New York (State)--New York
- - Pedestrians--New York (State)--New York
- - New York (N.Y.)--Buildings, structures, etc
- - Broadway (New York, N.Y.)
- - Copyright: American Mutoscope & Biograph Co.; 2Nov1903; H37499.
- - Duration: 2:19 at 15 fps.
- - Camera, A.E. Weed.
- - This street level view is of the Broadway side of the Flatiron, or Fuller Building, near the narrow north corner. Filmed on a very windy day, pedestrians of various descriptions are seen passing by the camera, clutching hats and skirts against the wind. According to some New York City historians, this corner was known as the windiest corner of the city, and in the era of the long skirt, standing on it was considered a good vantage point for a glimpse of a lady's ankle. Policemen would chase away such loungers from the 23rd Street corner, giving rise to the expression "twenty-three skidoo."
- - MAVIS 1807949; At the foot of the Flatiron. DLC
- - Photographed October 26, 1903. Location: Broadway and 23rd Street, New York, N.Y.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - viewing prints and dupe neg; Received: 1991 from LC lab; preservation; Paper Print Collection.
- - neg pic; Received: 1989/90 from UCLA; preservation; Paper Print Collection.
- - paper pos; Received: 1903-11-02; copyright deposit; Paper Print Collection.
- viewing print. 1 film reel of 1 (2 min., ca. 153 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- viewing print (copy 2) 1 film reel of 1 (2 min., ca. 153 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- dupe neg. 1 film reel of 1 (2 min., ca. 153 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- neg pic. 1 film reel of 1 (2 min., ca. 153 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos. 1 roll (153 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- Call Number
- FEB 9836 (viewing print)
- FEB 9764 (viewing print, copy 2)
- FPE 5578 (dupe neg)
- FPE 5601 (neg pic)
- LC 1949 (paper pos)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- lcmp002 m2a33981 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mbrsmi/lcmp002.m2a33981
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
Rights & Access
Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division, Library of Congress
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright in the motion pictures in these collections. As is indicated in the cataloging, most of the titles were registered for copyright prior to 1916. (No registration information exists for some titles.) The Library notes that the reproduction of some titles may be restricted by privacy rights, publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Additionally, some works may still be protected by copyright in some foreign countries.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses. Users should also consult restrictions associated with donations to the Library.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.More information about American Memory and Copyright.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.