Books The War of the Rebellion: a compilation of the official records of the Union and Confederate armies.
United States. War Department
Confederate States of America
Confederate States of America
- The War of the Rebellion: a compilation of the official records of the Union and Confederate armies.
- Other Title
- Official records of the Union and Confederate armies
- Contributor Names
- United States. War Department.
- Created / Published
- Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1880-1901.
- Subject Headings
- - United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- - Confederate States of America--History
- - United States--History--Regimental histories.--Civil War, 1861-1865
- - United States
- - Found also in the House Miscellaneous documents of the 52d to the 56th Congress.
- - Each number has special index. Inserted in each volume: Additions and corrections ... Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1902.
- - Series 1, v. 1-53, series 3, v. 1-5, and series 4, v. 1-3 include "Alternate designations of organizations mentioned."
- - Vol. 54-55 of series 1 [serial no. 112-113] "have not been published, and no material for them is in hand." cf. General index, p. xi. Series 2, v. 1 [serial no. 114] with imprint 1894, was not issued until 1898.
- - Edited in the War Records Office, 1880-July 1899; in the Record and Pension Office, July 1899-1901.
- - Robert N. Scott compiled and edited v. 1-18, 1880-87, and also collected the greater part of the material for v. 19-36, 1887-91. After his death in 1887 the work was continued by Henry M. Lazelle, 1887-89, and by a board of publication, 1889-99, consisting of George B. Davis, 1889-97, Leslie J. Perry, 1889-99, Joseph W. Kirkley, 1889-99, and Fred C. Ainsworth, 1898-99; from 1899-1901 edited by Fred C. Ainsworth and Joesph W. Kirkley.
- - Supplemented by: "Atlas to accompany the official records of the Union and Confederate armies. Pub. under te direction of the ... secretaries of war, by Maj. George B. Davis ... Mr. Leslie J. Perry ... Mr. Joseph W. Kirkley ... board of publicaton. Comp. by Capt. Calvin D. Cowles ..." (3 v. CLXXV (i.e. 178) fold. pl. (incl. illus., maps, plans) 48 x 40 cm.) published: Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1891-95. CALL NUMBER: G1201.S5U6 1891. Plates part colored. Issued in 37 parts. Assigned no. 261 of House Miscellaneous documents, v. 40, 52d Cong., 1st sess. (serial no. 2998). Documnet number does not appear i this copy; in other copies it appears in binder's title but not on t.-p. Inserted: ... Additions and corrections ... Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1902. 2 p. 23 cm. CONTENTS: pl. 1-135c. Military operations inthe field.--pl. 136-161. General topographical map.--pl. 161-171. Military divisions and departments.--pl. 172-175. Miscellaneous.
- - Ser. I. v. 1-53 [serial no. 1-111] Formal reports, both Union and Confederate, of the first seizures of United States property in the southern states, and of all military operations in the field, with the correspondence, order and returns relating specially thereto. 1880-1898. 111 v.--ser. II. v. 1-8 [serial no. 114-121] Correspondence, orders, reports and returns, Union and Confederate, relating to prisoners of war and to state or political prisoners. 1894 [i.e. 1898]-1899. 8 v.--ser. III. v. 1-5 [serial no. 122-126] Correspondence, orders, reports and returns of the Union authorities (embracing their correspondence with the Confederate officials) note relating specially to the subjects of the first and second series. It embraces the reports of the Secretary of War, of the general-in-chief and of the chiefs of the several staff corps and departments ... 1899-1900. 5 v.--ser. IV. v. 1-3 [serial no. 127-129] Correspondence, orders, reports and returns of the Confederate authorities, similar to that indicated for the Union officials, as of the third series, but including the correspondence between the Union and Confederate authorities given in that series. 1900. 3 v.--[serial no. 130] General index and additions and corrections. Mr. John S. Moodey, indexer. Preface [by Elihu Root, Secretary of War]. Explanations. Synopsis of the contents of volumes. Special index for the principal armies, army corps, military divisions and departments. General index. Additions and corrections [arranged consecutively by volumes]. 1901.
- - LC Civil War Maps (2nd ed.), 99
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- 70 v. in 128. 24 cm.
- Call Number
- E464 .U6
- G1201.S5 U6 1891
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- g3701sm gcw0099000 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.gmd/g3701sm.gcw0099000
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
Rights & Access
The maps in the Civil War Maps materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Lines: use the following as appropriate
Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division
Library of Virginia, Map Collection
The Virginia Historical Society
Citing Primary Sources on the Teachers Page.
How to Order Reproductions
Geography and Map Division
Photographic copies of maps from the Geography and Map Division are available through the Library of Congress Photoduplication Service. These reproductions are made from digital images. (Digital reproductions in TIFF format are also available.)
The Photoduplication Service estimates that it takes 3-6 weeks to complete an order. To request a reproduction:
Take down the DIGITAL ID number and the TITLE from the bibliographic description.
Consult the Photoduplication Service for pricing details and order forms: http://www.loc.gov/preserv/pds/
Contact the Photoduplication Service to place an order:
Library of Virginia
The Library of Virginia's Photographic and Digital Imaging Services department offers a variety of choices for reproductions:
- Digital images transferred to CD-ROM (PC or MAC compatible)
- Full size inkjet prints
- 8 x 10 dye sublimation prints (suitable for publication)
Please direct all inquiries regarding the duplication of the Library of Virginia's Civil War map collection to any of the following:
- Regular mail
The Library of Virginia
Archives Research Services
800 East Broad Street
Richmond, VA 23219
Tuesday through Saturday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. EDT
Please include your name, address, daytime phone number, the name of the map and the LVA item number (ex.: LVA000125) in all correspondence.
Costs for duplication vary. Service and use fees may apply. Permission to reproduce, publish, or exhibit materials from the Library of Virginiaâ€™s collections must be obtained from Archives Research Services.
Acquiring copies of materials in any format from the Archives does not confer the right to recopy, reproduce, publish, or exhibit them without the express written consent of the Library, or the holder of copyright to those materials.
Virginia Historical Society
To request copies of these maps, please contact Stephanie Jacobe (email@example.com) or visit the VHS website (www.vahistorical.org) for more information. Images will be available as digital files or prints, and a price list is posted on the site
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.