Maps Map illustrating the siege of Atlanta, Ga., by the U.S. forces under command of Maj. Gen. W.T. Sherman, from the passage of Peach Tree Creek, July 19th 1864, to the commencement of the movement upon the enemy's lines of communication south of Atlanta, August 26, 1864 /
- Map illustrating the siege of Atlanta, Ga., by the U.S. forces under command of Maj. Gen. W.T. Sherman, from the passage of Peach Tree Creek, July 19th 1864, to the commencement of the movement upon the enemy's lines of communication south of Atlanta, August 26, 1864 /
- Contributor Names
- Poe, O. M. (Orlando Metcalfe), 1832-1895.
- Sherman, William T. (William Tecumseh), 1820-1891.
- Molitor, E.
- Delafield, Richard, 1798-1873.
- United States. War Department.
- Created / Published
- [Washington, D.C.] : War Dept., [1865?]
- Subject Headings
- - Atlanta Campaign, 1864--Maps
- - Landowners--Georgia--Atlanta Metropolitan Area--Maps
- - United States--Georgia--Atlanta
- - Atlanta Campaign
- - Partial cadastral map showing selected buildings and householders' names beyond city limits.
- - Covers area extending from Mt. Gilead Church in west to Decatur in east and from Buckhead in north to East Point in south.
- - Relief shown by hachures and spot heights.
- - Shows troop positions, Union and Confederate works, roads, railroads, vegetation, drainage, and names, dates, and sites of battles connected with Atlanta Campaign.
- - "Note. The red figures indicate elevation at these points above the plan [sic] of reference, which is taken at 50 ft. below the water-table of the City Hall."
- - LC Civil War maps (2nd ed.) 137, S39
- - Annotated in red ink at lower right: Engineer Bureau, War Department, December 28/'65.
- - Annotated in black ink at lower right: Richd. Delafield, Bvt. Major General Chief Engineer.
- - Annotated in black ink in lower right margin: Proof sheet.
- - Imperfect: Soiled, stained, mounted on paper backing, portions of left and right sides of map cut off.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- 1 map : hand col. ; 29 x 52 cm.
- Call Number
- G3924.A8S5 1864 .P6
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
- Other Formats
- - MARCXML Record
- - MODS Record
- - Dublin Core Record
- Catalog Record
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.