Maps Map of Virginia and West Va., North & part of South Carolina, Maryland & Delaware, showing the situation in these states of schools taught by graduates of the Hampton Normal & Agricultural Institute from 1871 to 1876.
- Map of Virginia and West Va., North & part of South Carolina, Maryland & Delaware, showing the situation in these states of schools taught by graduates of the Hampton Normal & Agricultural Institute from 1871 to 1876.
- Created / Published
- N.Y. : Am. Photo-Lithographic Co., 
- Subject Headings
- - Schools--Virginia
- - Schools--West Virginia
- - Schools--North Carolina
- - Schools--South Carolina
- - African American teachers--Virginia
- - African American teachers--West Virginia
- - African American teachers--North Carolina
- - African American teachers--South Carolina
- - Hampton Normal and Agricultural Institute (Va.)--Alumni and alumnae--Employment
- - United States--Virginia
- - United States--West Virginia
- - United States--North Carolina
- - United States--South Carolina
- - Does not show any schools in Maryland and Delaware.
- - Relief shown by hachures.
- - Shows radial distances from Hampton.
- - Also shows and identifies counties and railroads.
- - At lower left: M.A.L. fecit May 1876.
- - Prime meridian: Washington, D.C.
- - Affixed to map is original printed letter dated November 1876 that is from S.C. Armstrong, principal of the Institute, and that explains use of star symbols for schools on map. DLC
- - Copy imperfect: Creased and with small tears along edges. DLC
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- 1 map ; 48 x 74 cm.
- Call Number
- G3881.E68 1876 .M3
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- g3881e ct001099 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.gmd/g3881e.ct001099
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.