Maps [Central Virginia].
United States. Army. Corps of Topographical Engineers
- [Central Virginia].
- Contributor Names
- United States. Army. Corps of Topographical Engineers.
- Created / Published
- Washington, DC : Lith. by J.F. Gedney, [1864-.
- Subject Headings
- - Military topography--Virginia
- - Virginia
- - Virginia.--History--Maps.--Civil War, 1861-1865
- - United States--Virginia
- - Relief shown by hachures.
- - Sheet 9 similar to no. 532, LC Civil War maps (2d ed.)
- - Some sheets consist of two parts joined in the middle showing towns and villages, roads and railroads, rivers and streams, and houses and names of residents.
- - The index map is a printed map entitled "Central Virginia, compiled in the Bureau of Topographl. Engrs. of the War Department for military purposes. July 1862" (entry no. 465.9)
- - This item is in the Map Collection of the Library of Virginia; please contact the Library's Archives Research Services department for more information.
- - Title from R.W. Stephenson's: Civil War maps, 2nd ed., 1989.
- - Sheet 6. [Front Royal, Upperville, White Plains, Warrenton, Gainsville and vicinity] photocopy, annotated in pencil -- Sheet 8. [Occoquan, Dumfries, Stafford C.H., and vicinity]. Ed. April 13th, 1864 (western half); Ed. April 18th, 1864 (eastern half), annotated in ink -- Sheet 9. [Culpeper County, with parts of Madison, Rappahannock and Fauquier counties]. Engr. by J. Schedler, 3 copies, one of which is annotated in pencil. Sheet 10 [Madison C.H., Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River, and vicinity] Ed. April 13, 1864 (western half), Ed. April 19, 1864 (eastern half), annotated in ink -- Sheet 11. [Fredericksburg, Port Royal, Rappahannock River, and vicinity]. Ed. April 28th, 1864 (western half) -- Sheet 12 (map 1) [Orange C.H., Gordonsville, Louisa C.H., Spotsylvania C.H., and vicinity]. Ed. April 23, 1864. -- Sheet 12 (map 2) [Orange C.H., Gordonsville, Louisa C.H., Spotsylvania C.H., and vicinity] / Engineer Dep. Hd. Qrs. Army of the Potomac. Ed. July 28, 1864, 2 copies, one photocopy, both annotated in pencil -- Sheet 16 (map 1) [Hanover C.H., King William C.H., and vicinity]. Ed. May 2nd 1864 (western half); Ed. 30 April 1864 (eastern half), annotated in pencil -- Sheet 16. (map 2) [Hanover C.H., King William C.H., and vicinity]. Ed. May 2nd, 1864 (western half only) -- Sheet 17. [Palmyra C.H., Goochland C.H., and vicinity]. Ed. March 26th, 1864 (eastern half) -- Sheet 21. (map 1) [Richmond, Charles City C.H., and vicinity]. Ed. May 19th, 1864 (western half); Ed. May 27th, 1864 (eastern half), 3 copies, annotated in pencil and ink -- Sheet 21 (map 2) [Richmond, Charles City C.H., and vicinity] (eastern and western halves), photocopy, annotated in pencil -- Sheet 21 (map 3) [Richmond, Charles City C.H., and vicinity] (northern section of eastern and western halves), photocopy, annotated in pencil; attached to sheet 16 [Hanover C.H., King William C.H., and
- - vicinity] (southern section of eastern and western halves), photocopy, annotated in ink.
- - LC Civil War maps (2nd ed.) 501.7
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - Sheet 6 (lva00104), c. 1, source unknown, Aug. 1968; sheet 8 (lva00105), c. 1, source unknown, Aug. 1968, c. 2 negative photocopy, LVA; sheet 9, c. 1 (lva00106), c. 2 (lva00107), c. 3 (lva00108), source unknown, Aug. 1968, c. 4-5, source unknown, c. 6, photocopy, LVA, c. 7, negative photocopy, LVA; sheet 10, c. 1 (lva00139), R & M Books, March 1967, bcf, c. 2, negative photocopy, LVA; sheet 11 (lva00140), c. 1, source unknown, Aug. 1968, c. 2, negative photocopy, LVA; sheet 12, map 1, c. 1 (lva00141), source unknown, Aug. 1968, c. 2, negative photocopy, LVA; map 2, c. 1 (lva00142), source unknown, Aug. 1968; c. 2 (lva00143), photocopy, source unknown, Aug. 1968; sheet 16, map 1, c. 1 (lva00144), Jan. 1954, Argosy Books, i, c. 2 negative photocopy, LVA; map 2, c. 1 (lva00145), source unknown; sheet 17 (lva00146), c. 1, source unknown, Aug. 1968, c. 2, negative photocopy, LVA; sheet 21, map 1, c. 1 (lva00147), c. 2 (lva00148), c. 3 (lva00149), source unknown, Aug. 1968, c. 4, negative photocopy, LVA; map 2, c. 1 (lva00150), source unknown, Aug. 1968; map 3, c. 1 (lva00151), source unknown, Aug. 1968.
- - Conservation: restored 1954, June 1967 or Nov. 1968; all maps conserved by Etherington Conservation Center, 2003.
- - Digital image available: 26 x 40.25 in. or smaller.
- - Library also has a photocopy of the index map annoted to show sheet lines and numbers.
- - Library has sheets 6, 8-12, 16, 17, and 21.
- - Map sheets cover central Virginia.
- - Previously filed as: 755 M6 1861-1865 1864.
- - Sheet 6 map accession no. 2618 (1968); sheet 8 map accession no. 2616 (1968); sheet 9, c. 1 map accession no. 2615 (1968), c. 2 5261X, c. 3 5262X, c. 4 5263X, c. 5 5264X; sheet 10 map accession no. 2613 (1968); sheet 11 map accession no. 2611 (1968); sheet 12, map 1, c. 1 map accession no. 2609 (1968), c. 2 2610 (1968) (neg. photostat, LVA); map 2, c. 1 map accession no. 5259X, c. 2 5260X; sheet 16, map 1 map accession no. 1523 (1954), map 2 map accession no. 5265X; sheet 17 map accession no. 2607 (1968); sheet 21, map 1, c. 1 map accession no. 2605 (1968), c. 2 5256X, c. 3 5257X; map 2 map accession no. 5258X; map 3 map accession no. 5266X.
- - Some maps have titles written in manuscript on verso.
- maps : col. ; on sheets 68 x 100 cm. or smaller.
- Call Number
- G3880 s63 .U5
- Library of Virginia Richmond, VA 23219-8000 USA vau For copies contact: Archives Research Services.
- Digital Id
- g3880m glva001 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.ndlpcoop/g3880m.glva001
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
Rights & Access
The maps in the Civil War Maps materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Lines: use the following as appropriate
Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division
Library of Virginia, Map Collection
The Virginia Historical Society
Citing Primary Sources on the Teachers Page.
How to Order Reproductions
Geography and Map Division
Photographic copies of maps from the Geography and Map Division are available through the Library of Congress Photoduplication Service. These reproductions are made from digital images. (Digital reproductions in TIFF format are also available.)
The Photoduplication Service estimates that it takes 3-6 weeks to complete an order. To request a reproduction:
Take down the DIGITAL ID number and the TITLE from the bibliographic description.
Consult the Photoduplication Service for pricing details and order forms: http://www.loc.gov/preserv/pds/
Contact the Photoduplication Service to place an order:
Library of Virginia
The Library of Virginia's Photographic and Digital Imaging Services department offers a variety of choices for reproductions:
- Digital images transferred to CD-ROM (PC or MAC compatible)
- Full size inkjet prints
- 8 x 10 dye sublimation prints (suitable for publication)
Please direct all inquiries regarding the duplication of the Library of Virginia's Civil War map collection to any of the following:
- Regular mail
The Library of Virginia
Archives Research Services
800 East Broad Street
Richmond, VA 23219
Tuesday through Saturday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. EDT
Please include your name, address, daytime phone number, the name of the map and the LVA item number (ex.: LVA000125) in all correspondence.
Costs for duplication vary. Service and use fees may apply. Permission to reproduce, publish, or exhibit materials from the Library of Virginiaâ€™s collections must be obtained from Archives Research Services.
Acquiring copies of materials in any format from the Archives does not confer the right to recopy, reproduce, publish, or exhibit them without the express written consent of the Library, or the holder of copyright to those materials.
Virginia Historical Society
To request copies of these maps, please contact Stephanie Jacobe (email@example.com) or visit the VHS website (www.vahistorical.org) for more information. Images will be available as digital files or prints, and a price list is posted on the site
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.