[Portolan chart of the Mediterranean Sea ca. 1320-1350 : manuscript chart of the Mediterranean and Black seas on vellum].
- [Portolan chart of the Mediterranean Sea ca. 1320-1350 : manuscript chart of the Mediterranean and Black seas on vellum].
- Created Published
- Subject Headings
- - Nautical charts--Mediterranean Sea
- - Nautical charts--Black Sea
- - Coasts--Mediterranean Sea
- - Coasts--Black Sea
- - Harbors--Mediterranean Sea
- - Harbors--Black Sea
- - Mediterranean Sea
- - Black Sea
- - Mediterranean Sea.
- - Black Sea.
- - Anonymous nautical chart in portolan style probably drawn in Genoa.
- - Covers Mediterranean Sea from the Balearic Islands to the Levantine coast; also covers western part of Black Sea.
- - Oldest original cartographic artifact in the Library of Congress.
- - Title from printed label on box in which the map is housed.
- - Pen-and-ink (red/green/brown).
- - Matted and mounted between sheets of transparent lucite.
- - Sheet cut into the shape of an irregular rectangle.
- - Imperfect: Vertically fold-lined at center, cracked, annotated in pencil on verso.
- - Includes bar scale with unidentified divisions.
- - The green rhumb lines on the recto are also visible on the verso.
- - LC Nautical charts on vellum 3
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - Purchase; Ludwig Rosenthal, Munich; 1914.
- 1 Ms. Map : Vellum ; 43 X 59 Cm.
- Call Number
- G5672.M4P5 13-- .P6
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- g5672m ct000821 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.gmd/g5672m.ct000821
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Transportation and Communication Cartographic Items
Geography and Map Division