Maps [Five small maps of Virginia and parts of adjoining states showing forest regions, distribution of forests in 1870, faunal regions, distribution and density of population in 1870, and density of Negro population in 1870].
Forests and Forestry
- [Five small maps of Virginia and parts of adjoining states showing forest regions, distribution of forests in 1870, faunal regions, distribution and density of population in 1870, and density of Negro population in 1870].
- Created / Published
- [S.l. : s.n., 1870]
- Subject Headings
- - Forests and forestry--Virginia
- - Virginia--Population
- - Zoology--Virginia
- - African Americans--Virginia
- - United States--Virginia
- - Title, date, and scale from Stephenson's Civil War maps, 1989.
- - LC copy: Four pieces pasted together to form 1 irregularly shaped sheet of paper, with pencil and ink annotations, including titles of individual maps. DLC
- - LC Civil War maps (2nd ed.), H208
- - No. 78. A Botanical map showing provinces and districts of the Forest region in part in Va. / in part after Porter and Curtis -- No. 79. Map showing distribution of forests (proportional), in Va., in 1870, in four degrees of density / after Brewer in U.S. stat. atlas -- No. 80. Zoological map showing faunal regions and districts in part in Va. / after Cope -- No. 82. Map showing distribution and density of population in Va., in 1870 / compiled from ninth census of United States by Supt. Walker -- No. 83. Map showing distribution and density of negro population in Va. in 1870 / compiled from ninth census of United States by Supt. Walker.
- - LC copy imperfect: Diagonal mended tear across map in lower left corner and liquid staining along pasted edges. DLC
- - In pencil on verso: 489.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as raster image.
- 5 maps on 1 sheet : hand col. ; each 8 x 12 cm., sheet 36 x 30 cm.
- Call Number
- G3881.F1 1870 .F5
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 dcu
- Digital Id
- g3881f cwh00208 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.gmd/g3881f.cwh00208
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
Rights & Access
The maps in the Hotchkiss Map Collection were published prior to 1922 (see catalog records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for noncommercial, educational, and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials. Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
For further information on permissions rights, please see our Legal Notices.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Citing Primary Souces on the Teachers Page.
Photographic copies of maps from the Geography and Map Division are available through the Library of Congress Photoduplication Service. The reproductions in this collection are made from digital images. Digital reproductions in TIFF format are also available.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.