Maps Sketch book of Jed. Hotchkiss, Capt. & Top. Eng., Hd. Qrs., 2nd Corps, Army of N. Virginia : [Virginia].
Montgomery County (Md.)
- Sketch book of Jed. Hotchkiss, Capt. & Top. Eng., Hd. Qrs., 2nd Corps, Army of N. Virginia : [Virginia].
- Other Title
- Sketch book of Jedediah Hotchkiss, Captain and Topographical Engineer, Headquarters, 2nd Corps, Army of Northern Virginia
- Contributor Names
- Hotchkiss, Jedediah, 1828-1899.
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Virginia--Maps, Manuscript
- - Montgomery County (Md.)--Maps, Manuscript
- - Virginia--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps, Manuscript
- - Montgomery County (Md.)--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps, Manuscript
- - Landowners--Virginia--Maps
- - Landowners--Maryland--Montgomery County--Maps
- - Roads--Virginia--Maps
- - Roads--Maryland--Montgomery County--Maps
- - United States--Virginia
- - United States--Maryland--Montgomery County
- - Shows general maps of northwestern Virginia and parts of Montgomery County, Maryland, with some showing roads, troop movements, and the names of some residents.
- - Relief shown by hachures.
- - "This volume is my field sketch book that I used during the Civil War. Most of the sketches were made on horseback just as they now appear. The colored pencils used were kept in the places fixed on the outside of the other cover. These topographical sketches were often used in conferences with Generals Jackson, Ewell and Early. The cover of this book is a blank Federal commission found in Gen. Milroy's quarters at Winchester, Jed. Hotchkiss"--Parchment Cover.
- - On sticker on end papers: If not delivered in 3 days, return to Jed. Hotchkiss, consulting mining engineer, ... .
- - Pencil (some col.).
- - Brown leather spine with marbled boards. Covered by a parchment book cover with a five compartment pencil pocket sewn to the back.
- - Leaves [1-3] on tipped in yellow paper. Leaf inserted between leaves 85 and 86.
- - Accompanied by: Three sheets of manuscript notes attributed to Thomas Jonathan (Stonewall) Jackson.
- - LC Civil War maps (2nd ed.), H1
- - Available also through the Library of Congress web site as raster image.
- - Includes notes.
- - Imperfect: Leaf 38 wanting. 1 leaf wanting from 40 blank leaves. Approximately 20 sheets wanting at end.
- 1 ms. atlas (, 100, ,  blank,  leaves) : maps (some col.) ; 25 cm.
- Call Number
- G1290 .H6 1865
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
- Other Formats
- - MARCXML Record
- - MODS Record
- - Dublin Core Record
- Catalog Record
Rights & Access
The maps in the Hotchkiss Map Collection were published prior to 1922 (see catalog records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for noncommercial, educational, and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials. Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
For further information on permissions rights, please see our Legal Notices.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Citing Primary Souces on the Teachers Page.
Photographic copies of maps from the Geography and Map Division are available through the Library of Congress Photoduplication Service. The reproductions in this collection are made from digital images. Digital reproductions in TIFF format are also available.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.