Maps [Map of the Far East and adjacent Pacific].
North Pacific Ocean
North Pacific Ocean
Pacific Coast (North America)
- [Map of the Far East and adjacent Pacific].
- Other Title
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - East Asia
- - North Pacific Ocean
- - Pacific Coast (North America)
- - The map, in its ornamental frame, occupies the right side of the sheet. Drawing of a ship and an eight-line explanation of Roman numerals on left side of the sheet.
- - Place names in Arabic. Chinese in two columns, on right side of map. Text in Venetian Italian.
- - Undetermined authenticity.
- - Provenance unverified.
- - Pen-and-ink.
- - Further description of map appeared in article: Bagrow, Leo, 1948. The maps from the home archives of the descendants of a friend of Marco Polo. Imago Mundi, vol. V.
- - Includes key to identifying countries and regions designated by Roman numerals.
- - Translation of the explanation of Roman numerals: Marco Polo. I. India and the adjacent islands, according to what the Saracens say. II. Cattigara of Tartary, island of Zipangu and adjacent islands. III. Peninsula of the Sea Lions. IV. Islands connected with the Peninsula of the Deer situated 2 to 4 hours of difference from the walled provinces of Tartary.
- - Given to the Library of Congress in 1935 by Mr. Marcian F. Rossi, a retired merchant, who considered himself a descendant of a friend of Marco Polo.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- 1 map : ms., vellum ; 22 x 19 cm., on sheet 29 x 41 cm.
- Call Number
- G7800 .M3
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- g7800 ct001372r http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.gmd/g7800.ct001372r
- g7800 ct001372v http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.gmd/g7800.ct001372v
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.