Maps [Maps of the Maryland-Pennsylvania boundary used as trial exhibits in the 1735 court suit brought by the Penns against Lord Baltimore to determine the official interprovincial boundary line].
- [Maps of the Maryland-Pennsylvania boundary used as trial exhibits in the 1735 court suit brought by the Penns against Lord Baltimore to determine the official interprovincial boundary line].
- Contributor Names
- Senex, John, -1740.
- Created / Published
- [London : s.n., 1738?]
- Subject Headings
- - Maryland--Boundaries--Pennsylvania
- - Pennsylvania--Boundaries--Maryland
- - Delaware--Boundaries--Maryland
- - Maryland--Boundaries--Delaware
- - United States--Maryland
- - United States--Pennsylvania
- - United States--Delaware
- - The maps also cover the Lower Counties (now the State of Delaware) which at the time were part of Pennsylvania.
- - The "Virginia" map shows lines of latitude (identified) and longitude (unidentified).
- - Common title devised by cataloger.
- - Annotated in ink handwriting on recto by Ferdinand J. Paris (attorney for the Penn Family).
- - The "Virginia" map is oriented with north to the right.
- - Hand col. (light watercolor) to show the territory of Maryland.
- - Both sheets watermarked (stylized figure of duck).
- - Accompanied by a col. photocopy of the verso of each map.
- - Extensive lead-pencil annotations on verso by Ferdinand J. Paris.
- - Map prepared as an exhibit in the suit brought by the Penns against Lord Baltimore to determine the boundary line [in pencil in lower margin] -- A map of Virginia according to Captain Iohn Smiths map published anno 1606 : also of the adjacent country called by the Dutch Niew Nederlant anno 1630 / by Iohn Senex 1735.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- 2 maps : hand col. ; 36 x 24 cm. and 37 x 49 cm.
- Call Number
- G3841.F7 svar .S4
- Library of Congress Geography and Map Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- g3841f ct001036 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.gmd/g3841f.ct001036
- g3841f ct001037 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.gmd/g3841f.ct001037
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.