Film, Video The golden lily /
Apparitions and Miracles
Blessed Virgin, Saint
- The golden lily /
- Other Title
- Lys d'or
- Unidentified Gaumont.
- lys d'or
- unidentified gaumont.
- Created / Published
- United States : United States : George Kleine, Southern Church Film Corporation. 1910 ;
- Subject Headings
- - Mary,--Blessed Virgin, Saint--Apparitions and miracles
- - Miracles
- - Inquisition
- - Violinists
- - Main title lacking. Identification from intertitles. DLC
- - Four intertitles appearing at head of film are also placed correctly in body of film. DLC
- - Original French film, Le lys d'or, released in France in 1910.
- - English language intertitled version reissued by Southern Church Film Corporation; date of reissue unknown.
- - LC has reissue copy. DLC
- - Nitrate deterioration printed through at end of film. DLC
- - A poor, elderly violinist takes refuge in a cathedral. When he plays his violin there, the Madonna appears before him and gives him a golden lily. He tries to sell the lily to a goldsmith, but the goldsmith and his wife doubt the violinist's story. They summon guards who bring him before the Holy Office. He is found guilty and is about to be taken away, but the inquisitor gives him a chance to prove his story by returning to the cathedral and playing his violin in the presence of all those assembled. The Madonna appears again and gives him another golden lily. The old man is saved and is carried through the streets as a hero.
- - MAVIS 24108; The golden lily. DLC
- - Digital files viewed.
- - Sources used: Moving picture world, vol. 6, no. 6, Feb. 12, 1910, p. 225; AFI catalog, film beginnings, 1893-1910, p. 419; Gaumont, 90 ans de cinéma, p. 202; AFI STAR database record no. 41712.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Received: 1/29/1992 from LC film lab; viewing print; preservation; AFI/Atkinson (Dennis) Collection.
- - Received: 10/3/1991 from LC film lab; dupe neg pic; preservation; AFI/Atkinson (Dennis) Collection.
- 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 9 min., ca. 735 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. viewing print.
- 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 9 min., ca. 735 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. dupe neg pic.
- Call Number
- FEC 1246 (viewing print)
- FPE 6088 (dupe neg pic)
- Digital Id
- mbrsascfr 1246s1 1246s2 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.mbrsmi/mbrsascfr.1246
- Library of Congress Catalog Number