Books | Manuscripts/Mixed Material Pedro Menéndez de Avilés sailing order, 1572 July 3
Menéndez De Avilés, Pedro
Eraso, Cristóbal De.
- Pedro Menéndez de Avilés sailing order, 1572 July 3
- Contributor Names
- Menéndez de Avilés, Pedro, 1519-1574.
- Subject Headings
- - Eraso, Cristóbal de
- - Naval convoys--New Spain
- - New Spain--History, Naval--16th century
- - First governor of Spanish Florida.
- - In the age of piracy on the high seas, sailing instructions were top-secret documents upon which rested the security of the king's fleet and his treasure. Here, Menéndez de Avilés, governor of Florida, gives Don Cristóbal de Eraso complicated and detailed instructions for sailing to Spain on the Buenaventura with his fleet, via the islands of Flores and San Miguel. He is admonished not to proceed beyond a designated rendezvous without further instructions from Menéndez, "under penalty of paying with his person and his property for any injury to his Majesty or his royal treasury." With notary's signed statement of delivery to Eraso on 21 July 1572.
- - Collection open for research.
- - In Spanish.
- - Also available in digital form on the Library of Congress Web site.
- - Provenance: Gift of Jay I. Kislak Foundation. DLC
- 11/2 p.; 12 1/4 in. x 8 1/2 in.
- Call Number
- Kislak MS 206
- Library of Congress Rare Book and Special Collections Division Jay I. Kislak Collection dcu (Acc. 1996.031.00.0002)
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Catalog Number