Maps [Map and views illustrating Sir Francis Drake's West Indian voyage, 1585-6].
- [Map and views illustrating Sir Francis Drake's West Indian voyage, 1585-6].
- Contributor Names
- Boazio, Baptista.
- Created / Published
- [London? : s.n., 1589]
- Subject Headings
- - Drake, Francis,--1540?-1596--Travel--West Indies
- - West Indies Expedition, 1585-1586
- - Western Hemisphere--Discovery and exploration
- - São Tiago Island (Cape Verde)
- - Santo Domingo (Dominican Republic)
- - Cartagena (Colombia)
- - Saint Augustine (Fla.)
- - Great Britain--History, Naval--Tudors, 1485-1603
- - Western Hemisphere
- - Cape Verde--São Tiago Island
- - Dominican Republic--Santo Dominigo
- - United States--Florida--Saint Augustine
- - Colombia--Cartagena
- - The first engraving is a map of Drake's voyage [showing Europe, western Africa, northern South America, and eastern North America]; the four other engravings consist of bird's-eye battle plan views of the cities of Santiago, Santo Domingo, Cartagena, and St. Augustine, Florida.
- - 4 bird's-eye views and 1 map.
- - Relief shown pictorially on bird's-eye views.
- - Voyage map in English; city maps in Latin.
- - Title supplied by cataloger.
- - Map and views created to illustrate Bigges' and Croftes' Summarie and true discourse of Sir Frances Drake's West Indian voyage, 1589.
- - Provenance: Gift of Jay I. Kislak Foundation.
- - Orientation varies.
- - Kraus, H.P. Sir Francis Drake, p. 121-7
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- - Includes hand col. ill.
- - Select features alphabetically indexed on bird's-eye views, views not accompanied by index key.
- - "The verso of each sheet is numbered in ink in an identical early hand "1 [through] 5" in the following sequence: 1. 'Voyadge', 2. S. Domingo, 3. Cartagena, 4. S. Augustine, 5. Santiago."--Auction catalog.
- - All sheets vertically fold-lined at center.
- - Kislak accession no. 1991.322.01.0003
- - Kislak accession no. 1991.322.02.0003
- - Kislak accession no. 1991.322.03.0003
- - Kislak accession no. 1991.322.04.0003
- - Kislak accession no. 1991.322.05.0003
- 1 map and 4 views : hand col. ; 41 x 54 cm. or smaller, on sheets ca. 51 x 64 cm. or smaller.
- Call Number
- G3291.S12 s000 .B6
- Library of Congress Rare Book and Special Collections Division Washington, D.C. 20540-4650 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- g3291sm grb00002 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.gmd/g3291sm.grb00002
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
Rights & Access
The maps in the Map Collections materials were either published prior to 1922, produced by the United States government, or both (see catalogue records that accompany each map for information regarding date of publication and source). The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17 of the United States Code) or any other restrictions in the Map Collection materials.
Note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Geography and Map Division.
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.