Photos, Prints, Drawings Panoramic view of Washington, D.C.
Photos, Prints, Drawings
District of Columbia
- Panoramic view of Washington, D.C.
- Five-part panorama shows the mall area of Washington, D.C., and surrounding buildings, from the Smithsonian Institution Building (now the "Castle"). Left section shows Washington Monument under construction in background, with Agriculture Department at left. The left center and center sections show the B Street (now Constitution Avenue) side of the Mall with building trade structures and Center Market. The right center section shows Baltimore and Potomac railroad station and tracks. The right section includes the U.S. Capitol in background and Independence Avenue area of Capitol Hill.
- Contributor Names
- Hacker, Francis, photographer
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Roads
- - Government facilities
- - Railroad stations
- - United States--District of Columbia--Washington (D.C.)
- Format Headings
- Albumen prints.
- Cityscape photographs.
- Panoramic photographs.
- - All prints are albumen except for the center section, which is silver printing-out paper.
- - Attributed to Francis Hacker.
- - Five separate prints provide a panoramic view when placed side-by-side. Photos are numbered to indicate arrangement sequence.
- - Transfer;--LC Geography & Map Division (original source unknown).
- - Published in: Washingtoniana Photographs ... Library of Congress, 1989.
- 5 photographic prints (1 panorama) : albumen ; 16 x 22 in.
- Call Number
- LOT 12361, no. 1 [item] (H size) [P&P]
- Source Collection
- Panoramic photographs (Library of Congress)
- Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA
- Digital Id
- pan 6a36324 6a36327 6a36330 6a36333 6a36336 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pan.6a36324
- cph 3g12138 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/cph.3g12138
- cph 3b36605 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/cph.3b36605
- cph 3b36606 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/cph.3b36606
- cph 3b36607 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/cph.3b36607
- cph 3b36608 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/cph.3b36608
- cph 3b36609 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/cph.3b36609
- Library of Congress Catalog Number
- Reproduction Number
- LC-USZC4-12138 (color film copy transparency of right section) LC-USZ62-90246 (b&w film copy neg. of left section) LC-USZ62-90247 (b&w film copy neg. of left center section) LC-USZ62-90248 (b&w film copy neg. of center section) LC-USZ62-90249 (b&w film copy neg. of right center section) LC-USZ62-90250 (b&w film copy neg. of right section)
- Rights Advisory
- No known restrictions on publication. No known restrictions on publication.
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress does not own rights to material in its collections. Therefore, it does not license or charge permission fees for use of such material and cannot grant or deny permission to publish or otherwise distribute the material.
Ultimately, it is the researcher's obligation to assess copyright or other use restrictions and obtain permission from third parties when necessary before publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the Library's collections.
For information about reproducing, publishing, and citing material from this collection, as well as access to the original items, see: Panoramic Photographs - Rights and Restrictions Information
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
- Rights Advisory: No known restrictions on publication. No known restrictions on publication.
- Reproduction Number: LC-USZC4-12138 (color film copy transparency of right section) LC-USZ62-90246 (b&w film copy neg. of left section) LC-USZ62-90247 (b&w film copy neg. of left center section) LC-USZ62-90248 (b&w film copy neg. of center section) LC-USZ62-90249 (b&w film copy neg. of right center section) LC-USZ62-90250 (b&w film copy neg. of right section)
- Call Number: LOT 12361, no. 1 [item] (H size) [P&P]
- Access Advisory: ---
If an image is displaying, you can download it yourself. (Some images display only as thumbnails outside the Library of Congress because of rights considerations, but you have access to larger size images on site.)
Alternatively, you can purchase copies of various types through Library of Congress Duplication Services.
- If a digital image is displaying: The qualities of the digital image partially depend on whether it was made from the original or an intermediate such as a copy negative or transparency. If the Reproduction Number field above includes a reproduction number that starts with LC-DIG..., then there is a digital image that was made directly from the original and is of sufficient resolution for most publication purposes.
- If there is information listed in the Reproduction Number field above: You can use the reproduction number to purchase a copy from Duplication Services. It will be made from the source listed in the parentheses after the number.
If only black-and-white ("b&w") sources are listed and you desire a copy showing color or tint (assuming the original has any), you can generally purchase a quality copy of the original in color by citing the Call Number listed above and including the catalog record ("About This Item") with your request.
- If there is no information listed in the Reproduction Number field above: You can generally purchase a quality copy through Duplication Services. Cite the Call Number listed above and include the catalog record ("About This Item") with your request.
Price lists, contact information, and order forms are available on the Duplication Services Web site.
Access to Originals
Please use the following steps to determine whether you need to fill out a call slip in the Prints and Photographs Reading Room to view the original item(s). In some cases, a surrogate (substitute image) is available, often in the form of a digital image, a copy print, or microfilm.
Is the item digitized? (A thumbnail (small) image will be visible on the left.)
- Yes, the item is digitized. Please use the digital image in preference to requesting the original. All images can be viewed at a large size when you are in any reading room at the Library of Congress. In some cases, only thumbnail (small) images are available when you are outside the Library of Congress because the item is rights restricted or has not been evaluated for rights restrictions. As a preservation measure, we generally do not serve an original item when a digital image is available. If you have a compelling reason to see the original, consult with a reference librarian. (Sometimes, the original is simply too fragile to serve. For example, glass and film photographic negatives are particularly subject to damage. They are also easier to see online where they are presented as positive images.)
- No, the item is not digitized. Please go to #2.
Do the Access Advisory or Call Number fields above indicate that a non-digital surrogate exists, such as microfilm or copy prints?
- Yes, another surrogate exists. Reference staff can direct you to this surrogate.
- No, another surrogate does not exist. Please go to #3.
- If you do not see a thumbnail image or a reference to another surrogate, please fill out a call slip in the Prints and Photographs Reading Room. In many cases, the originals can be served in a few minutes. Other materials require appointments for later the same day or in the future. Reference staff can advise you in both how to fill out a call slip and when the item can be served.
To contact Reference staff in the Prints and Photographs Reading Room, please use our Ask A Librarian service or call the reading room between 8:30 and 5:00 at 202-707-6394, and Press 3.